Small Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck

Reaction score
I've seen a few guys mention they were going to do a small batch to experiment with.

Do you use a normal sized fermenter (eg 30L)? Would having that much headspace be a problem?

I'm thinking along the lines of a 10-15L batch.

Thanks,
Wreck.

I don't do small batches but i often ferment 20litres in a 60litre fermentor and have never ever had any probs with the headspace.
i think from memory the name for the space is ullage or something.

Anyway i think you will have no problem at all mate.
I have even conditioned beers with that much headspace with no problem.

Jayse

Wreck

I've a couple of 3 gallon kegs which is just over 11 litres. I've started to do side by side tests of different yeast by making a 24 liter brew, splitting it 50/50 into 2 fermenters and pitching 2 different yeasts. I've fermented these small batches in normal 25 liter pails no problems. But for conveinence I've bought a couple of 15 liter fermenters for these smaller trial brews.

Cheers
Mark

Yeah, I've seen those 15L fermenters. Wasn't sure if they are worth it. I'm sure the Mrs would love another couple of fermenters floating around the place... ;)

It is amazing how many fermenters you use when you brew a lot.... or when you have stuff maturing in them.
A cider might need one for 6 months or more
A strong ale like the DOA I made was 12 months
A lager might need 2 months

Easy to see how you may have 4 or 5 on the go at the one time, and that is without going really silly a brewing a lot in a short space of time.

Those ESB Fresh Wort barrels make good mini-fermenters. just whack in a tap and drill out a gromet hole and you're sorted. I'll be using these to make mini-all grains as I only have a small mashing esky.

- Snow.

i've got a few of those 15L jobs and they are ok. but yeah another exspense on top of more exspense. one thing i have used is a 5L bucket and lid from bunnings. same thing, slap in an tap and airlock and its good to go. has worked very well.

other sources, 10L distilled/spring water container, has a tap, just need an air lock.

I did a MSB Ale (11.5 litres) in a 30 litre fermenter once and racked to secondary in a 25 litre fermenter.
Didnt have a problem. Arent people getting a bit paranoid about the extra headspace thing?
Or is this a legitimate concern where having too much headspace can cause problems.
cheers

I've done a few half batches in the 25 litre barrel and never had any worries

I'd assume that you'd have the same suface area of wort exposed to the air.

Then it's just a case of the gases generated in fermentaion expelling the air in the headspace out the airlock ?

I open ferment and have no problems, so increased headspace during fermentation shouldn't be a concern.

the only reason for me to use small fermentors and things like that is due to the fact i don't have a shed , spare room, basement etc etc.

never even crossed my mind about the head space thing.

Latest posts

Back