Small batch - oak "port" barrel ageing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brews

Reaction score
A few months back i got a 5L port barrel,
I initially did a barley wine and left that in the barrel about 7 months, i also left a bit of port in the barrel. To much port flavour is coming through.
Kegged it up about 3 weeks ago, not really enjoying it atm.. hopefully the port mellows, but will see.
On Wed i refilled the barrel with a coconut porter, making sure all the port was out of the barrel.

Now i have tried to find some info regarding optimum ageing time.
For a barrel of my size, ive read that most of the ageing would probably be achieved in 5-6 weeks..

Anyone else done small batch barrel ageing?

The problem you'll have with small barrels is that you have a huge surface area to liquid contact, so you'll need much less time in the barrel (but with that short time you may not pull out the desirable vanillins)
I recently purchased a couple of kilos of heavily toasted oak mini staves for oaking a few different beers, I'll be putting 4L of Baltic Porter into one of these http://bit.ly/1pQkn1H style drinks dispensers and serving it like a real ale after a couple of weeks
Very interested to see how it goes

If you watch the latest episode on the Chop and Brew website, they did barrel aging in an ex whiskey barrel. It may give you a better idea on aging times.

sp0rk said:
The problem you'll have with small barrels is that you have a huge surface area to liquid contact, so you'll need much less time in the barrel (but with that short time you may not pull out the desirable vanillins)
I recently purchased a couple of kilos of heavily toasted oak mini staves for oaking a few different beers, I'll be putting 4L of Baltic Porter into one of these http://bit.ly/1pQkn1H style drinks dispensers and serving it like a real ale after a couple of weeks
Very interested to see how it goes
hummm interesting..
ive got 1 of those glass jar/barrel thingys as well..
so you drink it straing out of there?
Do you prime to carbonate?

Ive added oak chips post fermantaion to cider with some good results..

I recall seeing something online a while back that gave you a time comparison for oak ageing (chips/blocks/barrels) now i cant find the bugger!

So drinking it still?

interesting.. may have to think about something like this.. its just a subtle 5% guy, so would like to do something alot more potant to do something still

i split this batch 3 ways... interesting to see how it goes... some in the barrel, some in keg starting to carbonate and some i put a real late (post fermentation) addition of mint..

be good to do a side by side of them all....

barrel.JPG

It shouldn't really be still, there will be carbonation gained from fermentation
I'll check if the lid for my drink dispenser has a seal, if it does I may add a little sugar to carb, will do the calculations this afternoon when I get home

Well, that's not going to work
The lid doesn't have a seal and it's got a flip up pourer, which would keep popping once it starts to carb
I could possibly put it in my spare demijohn and cut the mini stave in half to be able to fit it in, I guess

hahaha worth a try..

i wonder how they would go post cabination... instead of a jug, just 1 of those on the table.. could hop it as well.. most likely it will do like u said n leak

I have a 9 litre oak port barrel and in July last year after consuming what port was left, I rinsed it with star san (so as to reduce the port influence) and put in a Milk stout that had fermented for 2 weeks (completed). I left it in the barrel for 7 days and then bottled. Like I do with most milk stouts I've left it to mature in the bottle. It is now a really delicious drop with the port mellowed to enhance the sweetness of the milk stout. There is definitely an oak influence now and worth doing again.
Cheers

Back