Small batch - How to ....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbytaxman

Reaction score
Brewers ...

I have a couple of ... different ... brews I am looking at having a crack at.
Before I go all out, I thought I would try Small Scale Brewing to see if I actually like the brew.

What I am after is some tips on where to get the smaller equipment ... Like a fermenter (say about a 5 or 10 litre capacity) ... or easier just to scale down and use standard 20 litre equipment ???

Thanks for your input

Cheers

chubby

Hey mate im only a new brewer. Im sure more people will be better able to help you.
I made sure I liked the home brew ( I like to refer it to more of a craft beer, tjats what dan Murphys markets it as) I tried alot of craft beers before I knew what I wanted yo make. Now given the time to clean and sanitize I felt it was better to go straight to full batch sizes. I gave a go to a fresh wort kit to get the process of cleaning then a kit then 3 full extract and now an aG BIAB.
Im not sure about financials and what you wanna achive, if ya not sure like I wasnt id be buying craft been from dans or first choice making sure I like it and going from tjere

Thanks Bb,

I do have a few AG 20 litre batches under my belt, but looking to do something like a choc mint stout.
Hence the small batch to play with recipe and to taste the results.
If it was a good brew, then I can scale up to standard size.
It would be a real bugger if I made a full batch and after tasting, didn't like it.

You could do it either way really. You can get those 11.5L or whatever they are capacity fermenters that are used in the Coopers craft beer kit.

I did an 11 litre batch once just to use up ingredients but I used my normal 30 litre fermenter for it. Turned out fine.

Hi Moad,

Yes mate - BIAB and temp controlling .. Only difference is downsizing fermenter - that I can see just now.

Thinking of a smaller esky as well ... maybe a 10 - 15 Litre size ...

chubbytaxman said:
Thanks Bb,

I do have a few AG 20 litre batches under my belt, but looking to do something like a choc mint stout.
Hence the small batch to play with recipe and to taste the results.
If it was a good brew, then I can scale up to standard size.
It would be a real bugger if I made a full batch and after tasting, didn't like it.
Mmm I like the sound of that. No more choc mint ice cream for desert ay?

I'm not that sure whether you need a smaller fermenter for an 11l brew. Yes you end up with a larger headspace but at homebrew size I don't think it'll make much difference if you really want to, "smaller" wine carboys would probably be best.
However depending on your recipe you might be able to split full ag batches into smaller fermentation batches and have a standard + mint side by side.

chubbytaxman said:
What I am after is some tips on where to get the smaller equipment ... Like a fermenter (say about a 5 or 10 litre capacity) ... or easier just to scale down and use standard 20 litre equipment ???
chubby
You should be able to get 5L or 10L hdpe buckets with lids that you can drill out
a hole for a grommet to fit an airlock (though many would recommend to just cover
with cling wrap tied with some stretch cord ... and spare the kittens :lol:)

For a tap you could get something like this one - you could probably
fit three or four of these buckets in a fermenting fridge.

I'm looking to do a similar thing but split a 20L brew 4 ways. I was looking at glass demijohns. Cheap, clean and you can have a look through the glass.

Beer does not go well exposed to light glass demijohns would need to be dark glass stainless pot with a lid could be an option.

Coopers sell a full "Craft" Beer kit with a 15 Litre fermenter, Hydrometer, Bottler, Concentrate, Bottler and a DVD!!!

http://store.coopers.com.au/beer-kits/craft-kit/coopers-diy-beer-craft-kit.html

I bought 2 of these from a local Target (St Marys NSW) on clearance for $10 each on Thursday, and they had a few left. It may be worth ringing around, but they are in the middle of a stock take, and you may not get the correct answer over the phone

they are usually kept with the Soda Stream and novelty gifts

I'd just grab a 10Lt Willow (HDPE) from Bunnings/Supercheap - use all your other full sized gear.

Yeah Bunnings sells those HDPE water containers that already have a bung in them for putting a tap in as well. I use a 25 litre one for bulk priming but they do have the smaller 10 litre or whatever ones as well. These would be fine for fermenting smaller batches I'd imagine.

wynnum1 said:
Beer does not go well exposed to light glass demijohns would need to be dark glass stainless pot with a lid could be an option.

I assume it'll be in a fridge or temp controlled environment

And another +1 for the hdpe jerrys, i picked up 2 from the big green shed and they are perfect for my 10-11l batches.

There's a nice using a slow cooker (what used to be called a Crock Pot) for a "mash vessel" that I've used for a small experimental BIAB brew. Many people seem to have one of these at the back of a kitchen cupboard they've forgotten about (or are too embarassed to admit they bought one and used only once!). Possibly another option?

Last edited by a moderator:
antiphile said:
There's a nice using a slow cooker (what used to be called a Crock Pot) for a "mash vessel" that I've used for a small experimental BIAB brew. Many people seem to have one of these at the back of a kitchen cupboard they've forgotten about (or are too embarassed to admit they bought one and used only once!). Possibly another option?
Haha really? Now that is small batch for sure, I think we have a big one at 6lts! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back