Smack Pak Pre- Smacked

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
I have just discovered that a pack of 1026PC seems to have been inadvertently smacked while in transit/ my fridge. Not bulging outrageously but it has unexpectedly swelled compared to the others in that consignment, so and now I'm wondering just what to do. As a rule I slant PC strains and that I will do for sure, but if anyone has advice, I'm all ears... :unsure:
I have no bulk ale wort on hand just now, but I guess it could be arranged in a day or two, perhaps I should just slant it and toss the remainder into a starter ASAP- what would [our favourite superhero] do?? Hmmm....

Wyeast FAQ no 7

7. I popped the inner nutrient pouch and the package swelled tight but I cant use it right away. What do I do?

If you have activated a package but cant use it right away, simply allow the package to swell and then refrigerate the package. The yeast will survive for extended periods if refrigerated. Before using, take the package out of the refrigerator and allow it to come up to room temperature before using. It is best to use the yeast as soon as possible.
Back to top >>

onya skates Rdev

Just leave it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. Not going to explode at 4◘C

Wondering if 27 might be more appropriate given that it isn't completely swollen? I got one like this (with the inner pack in tact) from a sponsor recently and have fingers crossed it'll be ok as advised.

About 5-6 years ago Wyeast was rushing things and were putting yeast into the pack that hadn't quite finished fermenting in the giant 'starter' where they grow things. The result was quite a few half swollen smack packs with the inner bulb intact.

You're better off to use it right away because if you wait it will be impossible to rupture the inner bulb without also rupturing the outer bag too. I lost 2 packs because of this. Since you slant your yeast, you should be fine.

About 5-6 years ago Wyeast was rushing things and were putting yeast into the pack that hadn't quite finished fermenting in the giant 'starter' where they grow things. The result was quite a few half swollen smack packs with the inner bulb intact.

You're better off to use it right away because if you wait it will be impossible to rupture the inner bulb without also rupturing the outer bag too. I lost 2 packs because of this. Since you slant your yeast, you should be fine.
I second that post. Last year, Wyeast was still doing this, and I got a few packages, pre-swollen.

You don't have to smack the inner package to prove that your yeast is viable. The swollen package shows that (tee hee, swollen package...sounds a bit rude).

Just fridge it and use when ready. I'm sure my fave superhero (choose between Schooey and MHB :lol: ) would do the same.

Latest posts

Back