Smack Pack Accident

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispy

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I smacked a pack of Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong on Friday night, was nearly puffed up by sunday lunchtime.

Got home last night, planning to pitch into a starter, an overwhelming smell of yeast permeating the room.......found the pack sitting on my desk, desktop covered in yeast, side of the pack split.. :(

Anyone else had this happen before?

Cheers,

Crispy

Crispy said:
Hi Brewers,

I smacked a pack of Wyeast 1388 Belgian strong on Friday night, was nearly puffed up by sunday lunchtime.

Got home last night, planning to pitch into a starter, an overwhelming smell of yeast permeating the room.......found the pack sitting on my desk, desktop covered in yeast, side of the pack split.. :(

Anyone else had this happen before?

Cheers,

Crispy
[post="92283"][/post]​

hope you managed to save some for your starter?

Not had quite the same, but last pack I bought, I just couldn't get the bubble to biurst. So used my heel to smack it, which resulted in 2278 all over the hbs floor - managed to save enough for the starter though :)

Crispy.

Very unusual indeed. Used oodles of smackpacks (and broken them quite brutally at times). Never had one split yet.

I'm sure your LHBS would be willing to exchange it though. :)

Warren -

I had one split when I smacked it a few weeks ago - just a little pinhole. Managed to salvage most of it though.

Back