Slugs From The Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Got the keg system up and running but it seems that the first time I crack the tap it shoots a 'slug' of beer out which of course turns to froth ... after that it is fine. If i let the slug go into the drip bucket all is well ....

Anyone had this problem? I am dispensing at 100kpa (have tried 80kpa), beer line is quite long (didn't measure it, premade from the brewshop), also checked for leaks none that I can detect.

I dont think that I am wasting too much brew but it will probably amount to a few pints by the end of the keg! Is this normal.

:chug: :chug: :chug:

hi,

Try turning the gas off, burping a little then fill jug. as the pressure drops in the keg you will begin to get a nice flow.Only need to dispence at 5 psi.

Once the reg is set at that just turn gass on and all should be fine.

Jason

I dispense at approx 50kpa.
Even then i still get some air bubbles in the line - from the CO2 coming out of solution.

I am using 4mm line with 2.5m to the tap.
I gas at 250kpa.
The first beer for me just has extra head....

Jason,

I too get a slug of beer when I first open the tap that turns to froth.
However I only get it out of one tap, the other identical tap is fine.

My brother-in-law is a cellarman and has informed me my tap needs a quick tune.
He meant to do it for me when he was over last, but we got started on the beers and forgot.

Next time he is over I'll get him to fix it and I'll post back what you need to do.

BTW, I'm using Lancer pull-down taps.

Beers,
Doc

Ok I will give 50kPa a shot and see what that does, I assume this is going to lower my carbopnation as the lower gas pressure will allow more CO2 to flash out of the beer.

Doc, will be interested to here how you 'tune' a beer tap :huh: mine is one of those SS ones through the fridge door that you twist the handle on.

Beer still tastes great so its hopefully just down to sone 'tuning' :chug:

I seem to be getting air (CO2?) in the beer line between the keg and the tap between pours. Could this be due to a leak somewhere? What I did notice is that the fitting which screws onto the back of the tap has no washer or rubber seal between it and the tap just a flush fitting.

Should there be a washer or something between them? I have gone and chucked a plumbing oring in there to see what it does .... just a thought.

Thanks

my understanding JasonY is that it isnt a leak, rather its the CO2 dissolving out of your beer due to the temperature difference in the line.

I just pour out the first 50ml approx, then is pours fine.

Back