Slow Yeats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am doing my first lager (TCB Lawson's Lager kit + 1kg dex) and using WLP802. This is the second time I have ever used liquid yeast and the first time using a lager yeast.

It seems to be fermenting at a very slow rate, and there is no krausen that I can see. The SG is dropping very slowly though.

It started out at 1.067 and has been going for 6 days so far and is only down to 1.043. The samples taste very sweet .. almost too sweet.

Do you think everything is ok? I know you are probably going to tell me to be patient but I am excited about doing a lager.

Ohh forgot to mention, I have it in my fermenting fridge and it stays between 11-13degC.

Ferments take longer at lager temps, Manaen. It is working, leave it be. Maybe next time pitch a bigger starter or aerate your wort more.

If you are spending money on liquid yeasts, do yourself a favor and add malt not dextrose to your kit.

Jovial Monk

It will depend a lot on your ferment temp. If you are working around 10 or 11C you will drop 3 or 4 points a day which is what is happening with yours. At 1043, it will taste like lolly water. That will change as the sugar is fermented.
I've never not had some krausen, so I cant help you there, but as long as the airlock is bubbling, I wouldn't worry too much.

Cool thanks for that.

I only added the dextrose to increase the alc% without having to balance the brew by adding more hops etc.

I should think he'd be a slow mover, he's been dead for over 60 years.

But your lager is probably fine, it's just fermenting slow because it's cold. Also if you underpitched then the yeast probably spent the first couple days building up numbers before getting stuck in.

building up numbers only lasts while there is oxygen in the wort.

JM

Back