Slow Yeast, What To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I'm not in a panic, but. Last night 7pm i pitched the 7g Coopers Sparkling ale yeast into the 23deg wort, that consited of 1.7kg Coopers Sparkling ale, 1.5kg Light Malt Extract, 500g dry malt, 300g dextrose + 13g of Chalenger Hops. (1052 OG)
My question: Is the yeast in this kit a slow starter or what. After 12 hours there was hardly a bubble every 2 min's. it has been in a 20 deg bath all night, so this morning i took it out and shook the crap ot of it. Im not sure whats doing now as i had to go to work.
DOES ALL THIS SOUND NORMAL? I guess im just use to the Safale S-04 YEAST that goes of like a bomb.

took about 24 hours for mine to pick up, but once it did, it went off like a rocket and was done in like 5 - 6 days.

Did you rack after 5 or 6 days?

yup racked for 1 week after the 6th day. On the 7th day, I did rest. :D

If you oxygenated your wort well the yeast is busily multiplying, and I hope you did oxygenate (aerate) well as 7g dry yeast is about 1/3 of that recommended. Instead of Safale try finding Nottingham or Windsor. Did you rehydrate the yeast?

The extra oxygenation you gave it by shaking the next day will help your yeast cells to be fit and healthy.

Since the weather has cooled down heaps, leave your beer in the primary for two weeks, then rack or bottle.

Jovial Monk

Jovial Monk

i don't mean to sound contrary, but with this yeast i have always found it to be an explosive starter, but a slow finisher.

I always rehydrate yeast first in 30 deg water with teaspoon of malt... over a 3 to 6 hour period. At 4 and 5 hour mark, the yeast starts to ferment the malt and get really active, that's when i pitch and it takes off like a rocket. Serious airlock activity in 3 hours.

cheers

So why the hell do Coopers only put a crumby 7g pack in with the kit :angry: :angry: :angry:

You are da man "pr1me". I got home from work yesterday and it was going off like a frog in a sock. I just need to be more patient.

Latest posts

Back