Slow Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggins

Reaction score
hi ,ive just put a coopers stout down with brew enhancer 2 and the standard yeast.it started bubbling straight away ,but after 4 hours it still wont bubble more than once every 5 minutes, did i do something wrong or is this normal.my previous coopers brews have all started brewing very vigourously within 2 hours, so i figured the yeast might be half dead or something. would i have got better results using the yeast out of a pale ale for this brew. B)

what was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast?

vlbaby said:
what was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast?
[post="102455"][/post]​

about 22 degrees on the digital thrmometer. i even swirled it after 2 hours or so.am seriously thinking about using the supplied yeast as a starter and then pitching a fresh yeast from the home brew store.would this wreck my brew ,or am i better leaving it for another day or so to see what happens?

I've doubled pitched yeast into brew after having NO bubbling, guys on here reckoned it would be OK, haven't tasted it yet to find out.
I've had one or two that are a bit slow but then they keep bubbling for ages. Others go off like a volcano and are done with 3-4 days.
Never done a Stout so can't comment on that particular coops brew.
Where are you from Wiggins ? You're not trying to brew beer in the artic are you ? :)

If you really want to pitch another yeast it won't hurt your brew. However, you probably don't need to. It will probably kick off soon. One of the things I have found with brewing is that patience can fix most problems. Your fermenter may not have a good seal too. I have had whole brews go through with no action in the air lock.

If you really want to know what is going on measure the gravity to see if it has droppped.

I'd put money on a leak developing. Don't worry and check on it in a week.

If in doubt, take SG readings.

Don't rely on your airlock as an indicator.
If its @ 22c it will be doing its thing,don't worry.

Check the airlock and seal and also the lid seal. Not that important, but if they are airtight you can guage activity by observing the airlock. Press down of the fermenter lid and hold. If the airlock levels up then air is escaping. Should be OK, good luck.

Must have been a slow yeast, it started frothing out of the airlock after around 8 hours.
Ive got the same problem with a brigalow ginger beer, it never seems to get going, but this time ill give it a bit of time before thinking of repitching another yeastl.The temperature of this one was 27 degrees when i pitched the yeast, but it still doesnt start properly.

don't worry about the ginger beer wiggins,i've got one going at the moment and it took a long while getting started,i did a bit research and that is the norm,so just let it do it thing.... ;)

edit; spelling

Latest posts

Back