slightly leaking faucets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorgeGetson

Reaction score
Hi,
I have three new faucets on a kegerator and noticed that the psi is going down daily. I only turn the gas on when pouring and back off. I currently have the psi set to ~10psi, and when listening closely, you can hear a very slight leak on them; I have tightened down the connections on them and still getting the same result.

My question is, is there a proper way these should be adjusted to stop this issue, and is maybe 10psi too much?

Apologies if this is a very basic question. I have only been brewing for ~4 months. I did some googling but couldn't find any definitive answers.

Thanks in advance.

If it’s the "faucets" leaking it will be beer that is coming out, no way gas can get up to the tap on its own.

If it’s the pressure on the gas side, that’s a very different question, it could be that your beer isn’t fully carbonated and the CO2 is going into solution, it could be a leak, a faulty regulator...
Best thing to do would be to mix some dishwashing liquid in water, pressurise the whole system and paint the detergent over every place it can leak, the bubbles will show you where. About 1:4 Detergent to water is good, if you have any add a bit of Glycerine, makes the bubbles bigger and easier to spot.

Before you do anything else. Disconnect the gas posts from the kegs, pressurise, and see if its holding pressure, if it isn’t its probably not the kegs.
Mark

Calling taps a faucet is just another example of the americanisation of our language
It's what the box was labelled with when I bought them. New to the brewing world so I called it exactly as it was labelled in case it caused any confusion..

If it’s the "faucets" leaking it will be beer that is coming out, no way gas can get up to the tap on its own.

If it’s the pressure on the gas side, that’s a very different question, it could be that your beer isn’t fully carbonated and the CO2 is going into solution, it could be a leak, a faulty regulator...
Best thing to do would be to mix some dishwashing liquid in water, pressurise the whole system and paint the detergent over every place it can leak, the bubbles will show you where. About 1:4 Detergent to water is good, if you have any add a bit of Glycerine, makes the bubbles bigger and easier to spot.

Before you do anything else. Disconnect the gas posts from the kegs, pressurise, and see if its holding pressure, if it isn’t its probably not the kegs.
Mark
Yes, sorry it is beer slightly dripping out. I should have been a bit more clear. When I was mentioning gas I meant I could here a slight hissing / bubbling sound from the tap end.

Take the taps off, pull them down, clean, inspect the rubber seals very carefully, lube and reassemble.
Usually does the trick.
Mark

Nyah ha ha. First we get you saying elevator and faucet, soon we take over language. Grand final becomes Downunder Superbowl. Prawns become shrimp regardless of their size.

The old Jesuit saying coined by their founder St Ignatius Loyola “Give me a child till he is seven years old and I will show you the man”.
I blame Sesame Street, get them young and condition them... The height of cultural imperialism.
Mark

The one that I hate is the Texan way of putting a hyphen into every word
I worked fifo over in the west where we had an all hands meeting every week. It took me 3 weeks to work out that bo-ral was an Aussie company (Boral)
We used to have a tv ad in Ballarat Vic for the Shep Cannery Sur-Plus
One reporter stated that the po-lice had to re-sort to the use of their ba-ton
WTF

Come to think of it, most Americans would also call the fixtures on kegerators taps. "Faucet" generally refers to a fixture on the plumbing.

In spo
The one that I hate is the Texan way of putting a hyphen into every word
I worked fifo over in the west where we had an all hands meeting every week. It took me 3 weeks to work out that bo-ral was an Aussie company (Boral)
We used to have a tv ad in Ballarat Vic for the Shep Cannery Sur-Plus
One reporter stated that the po-lice had to re-sort to the use of their ba-ton
WTF
In sports where they say "de-fence" 🙄
Shits me.

But Tex-as makes good bar-be-cue.

As I recall, Texans usually hyphenate for emphasis, not all the time.

Back