Sleep.. The Great Nemisis

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Greetings Fellows.

CPA Attempt 3

Last week starting Easter weekend
Reculture and step up CPA Yeast.. Done from 50ml dregs, added 50ml wort at a time to 250ml

Last Sat.
Wash / rinse / sanitise
add Yeast to starter... Done (500ml... possibly too small???)
cool brew water to 12 deg overnight... check! lookin good..

Last Sun.
Rinse / no rinse sanitise the crap out of everything in sight.. (Water spray bottle for the missus when she came close helped too).. begone demons.. squirt.. squirt..!!
make good with the CPA can and the BE2.. check.
add water... pause...
its a little too cold.. Damn!!.. was about 18 or so at pitch..
I thought... for rightly or wrongly... "Pitch and seal".. sort out the temp later.. I Have heat pad and working fridge what can possibly go wrong?.. best to seal and leave it be...

Monday Night.
Get home from work and nearly run over the cat to get off the bike and out to the fridge.. which was left open and off as the weather is great for it in melbourne now..
HELL.. it was dropping to about 16 and possibly lower.. no worries a little heat pad for you my friend... few hours will sort you out...
time for a beer and dinner..

oh whats on telly? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!! SNORT!! WTF!!
26'c when I got to it and needless to say my heart fell out me bum...

"Tempmate IMMINENT!!" ... pounding fist on table and best associated with loud gnashing of teeth..

have quickly got it back to 18 now... and my.. isnt there a layer of krausen around the inside of the fermenter all of a sudden like... No action in the airlock but gravity is dropping 1040 at pitch and 1030 today.. too fast? too slow? to fast in a burst not that good is it? Winces with heavy sigh

The things i take away from this are two fold

1: Brewing is done earlier in the day (presuming tempmate etc...)
2: Sleep is evil...

I went through great pains to put this one down, my only hope is I havnt done too much damage... sigh..

It will be OK and if not there is also next time.

It will be drinkable for sure.

Quote from above :

have quickly got it back to 18 now... and my.. isnt there a layer of krausen around the inside of the fermenter all of a sudden like... No action in the airlock but gravity is dropping 1040 at pitch and 1030 today.. too fast? too slow? to fast in a burst not that good is it? Winces with heavy sigh

...so gravity yesterday was 1020 it gone like this

sunday 1040
tuesday 1030
wednesday 1020 (approx)
thursday 1020 slowing

question is, was this too fast a drop in gravity? If it's slowed or stopped at 1020 what can I do? Im loath to open it and how the hell do you swirl 20 odd litres in the primary to re-suspend some yeast?

what are my options?

Cheers all from a worried father

Quote from above :

...so gravity yesterday was 1020 it gone like this

sunday 1040
tuesday 1030
wednesday 1020 (approx)
thursday 1020 slowing

question is, was this too fast a drop in gravity? If it's slowed or stopped at 1020 what can I do? Im loath to open it and how the hell do you swirl 20 odd litres in the primary to re-suspend some yeast?

what are my options?

Cheers all from a worried father

Some yeasts take a bit longer to ferment out the last sugars, so don't panic. It's possible the quick temperature drop exposed the yeast to thermal shock which could also have contributed to the slowdown. BUT- it doesn't seem to be a big deal, just relax, don't worry, have a home brew :icon_cheers: the beer should turn out fine.

I gave it a bit of a swirl.. as best i could trying to avoid spashing as much as possible and today its dropped to about 1012, has a taste from the sample and didnt want to vomit so im hoping she is a winner... a few days now will sort her out..

when it gets to final (for a few days) I was thinking of C/C it for a couple of days, I know my outside fridge is kick ass and should drop it to about 2'C in less than a day... wajja reckon 2-3 days cold crash and bottle?

Has been at a steady 18 ever since my sleep disorder night, so shes been going nearly a week, thats pretty slow yaeh? Doesny matter?

Cheers

Nah doesn't matter let it ride for a few more days cc it for 4-5 days and then keg or bottle .

don't beat yourself up dude! you give me the impression you are embarking on some impossible journey. it's just beer. even bad beer is drinkable.

Latest posts

Back