Skunked!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
I've heard the term before when describing lightstruck beers, but not until I re-ran over some fresh roadkilled skunk this morning did I truly understand the smell. It smells exactly, I kid you not, exactly like that 3 year old stubbie of Carlton Cold, or most bottled Heineken I've ever tried. :ph34r:

A more apt description of a smell I've never heard. It smells like a faint dose of run-over (or fresh I guess) skunk. Skunk at 30m maybe. That smell was in my nostrils for a good 5 minutes.

That's nasty!!

Was thinking.. skunk? Till i saw your location!! :p

ah, so ant, you're an ex-aussie? I'd always assumed you were a yank that had stumbled upon the forums

Perth boy born and bred until March this year :beerbang:

... over here about 2 years for work. And to sample some non-available micro gear and pick up cheap gear!

Howdy ant,

I was telling your story to the guy who looks after Coopers here in WA tonight and he turned a lighter colour than a Cooper's Pale Ale as I related your experience!

He had exactly the same thing when over there but I think the repercussions for him were pretty bad. I think his skunk must have sprayed before he hit it...

He couldn't relate to your description of the smell and that's why I think his skunk sprayed. He said the smell was like all the worst smells you have ever smelt combined in one. He said he and all the passengers were out of the car and dry-retching within seconds. Furthermore, they could not get the smell out of anything.

They ended up ditching all their clothes. The car was detailed/disinfected all to no avail and he sold it. One of the occupants of the car even shaved their head.

He reckons that is one smell in life that you'll never forget.

Probably not worth bottling though eh? ;)

Pat

Wow. Guess I must have re-ran over an old roadkilled skunk, because it was a bit nasty, a tad unpleasant, but after 5 minutes with a/c on full blast and the windows down, it sort of went away. Maybe I just got desensitised to it (ie it killed every olfactory nerve in my body) and couldn't smell it. Maybe that's why people were looking at me funny when I went to get groceries...

I may have to edit my previous statement to the following effect:
It smells like a *very, nay, extremely* faint dose of run-over (ie well dead and de-odorised) skunk. Fresh skunk at *1km* maybe.

Howdy ant,

I was telling your story to the guy who looks after Coopers here in WA tonight and he turned a lighter colour than a Cooper's Pale Ale as I related your experience!

He had exactly the same thing when over there but I think the repercussions for him were pretty bad. I think his skunk must have sprayed before he hit it...

He couldn't relate to your description of the smell and that's why I think his skunk sprayed. He said the smell was like all the worst smells you have ever smelt combined in one. He said he and all the passengers were out of the car and dry-retching within seconds. Furthermore, they could not get the smell out of anything.

They ended up ditching all their clothes. The car was detailed/disinfected all to no avail and he sold it. One of the occupants of the car even shaved their head.

He reckons that is one smell in life that you'll never forget.

Probably not worth bottling though eh? ;)

Pat

Good to see your using all lof your senses to experience the USA.

When I worked in the states a colleague and I drove to Philly(200kms) in his pick up and I noticed a crook smell. I asked him what it was and he hit a skunk 15months prior! Once I identified the smell it was at the front of my nose for the hole trip - I tried everything to rid the smell, smoking marlboros, snuff, wintergreen then cinnamon flavoured gum etc etc. Nup, the reek still dominated my sense of smell.....

PS- I'm still counting down till october to open the first bottle of belgian strong ale you gave me :beer: .

Not too sure which of the last two posts is funniest. Donya! :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back