Skin Cancer Operation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
Hi all,

Had an operation yesterday to cut out 2 skin cancers yesterday. They are Basel Cell carcenomas so not life threatening like a melanoma. The doc says it might eventually have killed me as it would have eventually burrowed through my skull into my brain. Photos below.

You can see below the circle and triangle (or "tail") shaped pieces they removed.

head.jpg

More photos below but this thread is a reminder of the importance of suncreen, hats etc. I have always been careful but now have had 5 skin cancers by the age of 33. No tan is worth this.

They then pulled up most of the top of my scalp plus all the blood vessels and stretched across to reattach the skin to cover the skin that was removed. The other option was a skin graft where they removed the skin but that would have been a bald patch.

flap.jpg

They then pulled up most of the top of my scalp plus all the blood vessels and stretched across to reattach the skin to cover the skin that was removed. The other option was a skin graft where they removed the skin but that would have been a bald patch.

View attachment 51723

All the best for a speedy recovdery mate.

I've got mates that flat out refuse to wear sunscreen. Never wear it and actually take the piss out of me re applying it during the day.......... Just don't care and see it as being a wuss......

I hope they don't learn the hard way but the statistics say they will at some stage. Glad they got yours early and a speedy recovery as already said.

did you have really short hair most of the time? or did you get that through your hair?

did you have really short hair most of the time? or did you get that through your hair?

I have relatively short hair. The shortest it gets is number 4 and it grows from there.

You should put the first photo in the 'Tattoo' thread. Good to hear things are now O.K.

Hope you end up with good health and a completely shaved head (or a part in the next George Romero 'dead series' film)

Had a category 3 melenoma on the front of my left shoulder at the age of about 26. Always being a pasty fat *******, I never got around without a shirt. Yet, here I was in my prime with a life threating condition. Category 3 is ; you might die, you might not; we dont know. I didnt, and hope like **** I dont. But for christ sake tell everyone to cover as best you can, there is no bravado in sunburn.

bah

All the best Big Sam.

I had a mole diagnosed as an atypical spitz nevus in the early 00's. Got operated on at RPA for a wider excision and to remove the sentinal lymph node. Thankfully there was no more abnormal cells and I'm in the clear. But until the news came back, I was shitting myself. Now I have a 15-20cm zipper on my back as a reminder to slip slop slap whenever I'm in the sun.

It was only a mole about 0.5cm wide that was constantly itchy. There's no reason to be a big man about this stuff. If anyone has symptoms, itchiness, darkening or enlarged moles. Get them checked out!

Heck of a way to get a facelift. :D

Here's to a fast recovery.

Back