Skimming The Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfadog

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows stuff about skimming the krud from the wort in the kettle, what is it? and how does it affect the final product?

Just wondering if anyone knows stuff about skimming the krud from the wort in the kettle, what is it? and how does it affect the final product?
Skimmers are a bit like scrunchers and folders...
Some do it , some don't , all swear their way works better....
What's in it ? Protein , hop debris ( if you have added hops )....
Does it affect the final product ? I don't skim...been lucky enough to win a competition in the past...
Some skim....i cannot be bothered....
As i said...scrunchers and folders....
For what it's worth , I'm also a scruncher lol
F
edit...their,they're, there...

I skim only just before it reaches the boil. As said its most prob protein it dont smell to good so could be better out then in but wether its better in the boil?? I am not sure, I guess it will turn to hot break anyway so you can try avoid it ether way.

Just as Ftb says above, 2 schools of thought both of which are right. Its probably the sort of thing you should try yourself and see if:

1. You can be bothered doing it for every brew.

2. It makes a discernable difference that you can taste in your beers.

I have done quite a bit of both, and I don't really think I can tell the difference.

Does that make me a scruncher or folder?

Skimmers are a bit like scrunchers and folders...
Some do it , some don't , all swear their way works better....
What's in it ? Protein , hop debris ( if you have added hops )....
Does it affect the final product ? I don't skim...been lucky enough to win a competition in the past...
Some skim....i cannot be bothered....
As i said...scrunchers and folders....
For what it's worth , I'm also a scruncher lol
F
edit...their,they're, there...

Best description I have ever read.
I am a scruncher and I don't skim either. Really because I can't be bothered, folding and skimming that is. After boiling and cooling with my heat exchanger I leave the wort covered for up to an hour to let the crud settle to the bottom. Crystal clear wort to the fermenter and I don't think it would be clearer/cleaner by skimming.

Drew

well that settles it, I will try both the scrunch and fold techniques and see if I can notice the difference... No wait.... I will skim and not skim

I only scoop the really gluggy grey looking stuff as its coming to boil then leave it alone, prob more so with BIAB as you have cloudy wort to begin with.
I think i end up with a little less hot break at the end, i could be wrong.

I actually gave it to the dog last brew, she loved it! But fark the smell from her arse a few hours later was the worst i have ever smelt from any animal or human, so i would definitely say its very high in protein and this is a big dog that eats a fair bit of meat.

I only scoop the really gluggy grey looking stuff as its coming to boil then leave it alone, prob more so with BIAB as you have cloudy wort to begin with.

I actually gave it to the dog last brew, she loved it! But fark the smell from her arse a few hours later was the worst i have ever smelt from any animal or human, so i would definitely say its very high in protein and this is a big dog that eats a fair bit of meat.

lol, i think i may have to try that with the neighbours dog!

My dog used to love it when I skimmed. I no longer skim. If you're looking for more opinions, this has been done a few times before.

I used to be a scruncher, now I'm a folder.

No commercial breweries skim, just saying.

it helps you get to the boil quicker or something

+1 for "or something".

A layer of coagulated proteins on top of water would actually act a bit like a lid by preventing heat escaping upwards, no?

I use a saucepan lid over my keggle after lighting the gas for this exact reason. Once boiling, i take it off.

I have been both a skimmer and a non skimmer. Stuffed if i could tell a difference. Now im just a scummy old school 3V brewer

I skimmed for the fist 10 or so AG's, now I don't & Can't tell the difference. I remember someone suggesting not skimming actually helps with head formation in the final product, but like I said, I can't tell the diff. I'm sure it's had a mention in one of the other skim threads

I have just started to skim just before it reaches the boil, and as I no chill, have found less trub in the cube when pouring into the fermentor. :beerbang:

Back