• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Size Of Mlt Compared To The Hlt

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

cooraf

Reaction score
Ok everyone i'm in the process of upgrading/building a HERMS rig.

now before i start drilling holes in the pots, which should i use as the HLT and the MLT

i normall fly sparge if that needs to be known. also i have a 12" false bottom that will be used untill i can afford/need to get a full diameter false bottom made up...

the pots of choice as show are a 45cm pot (i believe about 70L) and the larger one is a 50cm pot (90/100L???)

020120101026.jpg

Spoonta

Reaction score
use the big pot for you HLT

porky

Reaction score
I would use the 90lt for the HLT,
the 70lt for mash tun,
and the 100 as the kettle.

bud

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
I agree with Budwiser, perfect combo enabling you to do double batches if required.

Andrew

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
gotta agree with Andrew and Bud....

But 90ltr HLT is over kill - u could get away with a 50ltr Hlt - fill it 1.5 times.
ie - 40-45ltrs for mash is plenty - refil to and heat up while mashing - then fly sparge.
as the ketlle is 100lt - u will fill with 80-90lt - so a 50ltr would be ample.

you couold sell the the 90ltr and get a 50 ltr andhave change for the pump, controller left over...

Just an Idea...

Latest posts