Size Of Cutout For Keg Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentonSpear

Reaction score
I have sourced my stainless, err... vessels and was thinking whether it would be better for the HLT to have a smallish hole in the top to help with heat retention?

I am thinking of a hole about 4-5 inches in diameter, just enough to get my arm in to clean it out when required.

I am also looking at matching the hole cutout to a glass lid to further insulate the water.

What do people think?

And I am sure this has been asked before but should I weld or fasten the threaded pipe for the tap(s) to the vessel?

You can use the piece you cut out as a lid if you add a few tags onto it to stop it fallig in. Not see through but it works.

I only have a stainless vessel for a boiler so far and I cut a fairly large ole in the top (as big as I could).

Actually I meant HLT, not kettle. The one you boil the water in to sparge with :)

Hi brenton,
I'd go with your idea of a small hole in the top of your HLT, you could make it tiny really, just big enough for a hose to go in.
The making it to the size of a pot lid idea you have is a good one.
As far as weld or not just do whatever is easiest.

Jayse

I used the lid from my retired partial mash pot as the template and as the lid whilst I'm getting up to the boil.
Use a dirt cheap angle grinder ($35) with a brand new cutting wheel and ear muffs (vital!) and it's quite easy.
Rather than cutting straight through in one hit, walk around the keg and gradually grind through.
I'd recommend using threaded shaft and fibre washers to connect a tap to the kettle, seems to be far more reliable than a cocky shit weld.

Back