Size Copper For Cooler Coil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My coils are held together using stainless steel hose clamps.
Got some big ones that go around five or six turns. Keeps the coils nice and tight.

Beers,
Doc

To cool 15L down to pitching temp (with a coil made up of about 10m of 1/2" copper) I run the water quite slowly - takes about 30 minutes and uses about 30 to 40L.

The first 20L is quite warm, so I use that for cleaning. The rest goes to the garden.

When you buy your copper tube it is somewhat work hardened , you need to aneal it again.
While it is still in the coil put it over the flame of your barbie , move it around until it has all become very hot , now let it cool.
Once cool you can bend it easy , no sweat !

Thanks Batz, will give it a try.

Always get something from this site!

Shawn.

My chiller is a combination of 1/2in pipe up over the sides (plus one or two coils) and the rest is 8 metres of 3/8in. I made it with some scraps I had and some 3/8in that was given to me. The water flow through it was actually alot better than I thought and I'm very happy with it. I joined the 1/2in to 3/8in with some lead free solder (Aquasafe 100). At Tradelink they sell 3/8in copper tubing at $3.50pm, $5pm for 1/2in, however Bunnings sell 18metre rolls of 1/2in for $66, which equals $3.67pm.

Just some info. Good luck with it. Note copper pipe is measured by outside diameter, PVC piping and other stuff is often internal diameter (ID). Look out.

Cheers, Justin
justin where do you buy aquasafe 100?what is the cost? will it melt with a propane gas torch? am very interested as i want to build a copper still using 2 inch copper pipe. i am in adelaide.

Back