Six String Brewing Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called in yesterday and picked up my sheets, I entered a Rye IPA and it got 28/50, 36/50 & 36/50 = 33.3 out of 50.

Its funny to read the differences they interpret with the judging, as we know its not easy to make comments and judge the beers.

One says no creaminess on the mouthfeel, one says good creaminess

One says low carbonation, one says great head retention

One says very pleasant tropical aroma, ones says not enough aroma

One says finishes nice and dry, one says needs to finish higher SG to get better body

Congrats Braydon from me too.

Yeah judging can be a bit mixed at these events I imagine but still worthwhile entering I think. I had nothing suitable, but maybe next time.

Heard six string could be for sale, thought they were seeking to expand a few months back. Haven't read the articles though.

I managed to have a couple of samples while there including:
Coasties lager
Pale Ale
Red IPA
Double Red IIPA
Four Belgian Trippel

The last time I was at 6 strings, they were all very... middle of the road, nothing special, and this visit hasent changed my opinion of their low end beers.
The Coasties lager was... a pale Australian lager... not much more to say, but I guess you have to pay the bills
Pale Ale was slightly maltier and hoppier than the lager... but not a whole heap.
I can understand the choices behind making them this way, but they are not my cup of tea

It seems like they use the bigger beers to show some brewing individuality
Red IPA: Nice hop balance with the 'red taste' and supportive bitterness. While it wont knock your socks off, it is a solid, well made, enjoyable beer
Double Red IIPA: This was my favourite of the visit, and went home with a squealer of it. All the good points of its little brother, but better. the red malt character really pushes through with some residual sweetness, but with more than enough hops to make the whole room turn around when you pour one.
Four Trippel: good solid trippel. Its no Westmalle, but quite enjoyable. one of the better Australian Belgians out there IMO

results copied from the newsletter:

The Six Strings Brewery Home Brew Competition results were announced at the start of the month with a presentation at the brewery. Winners went home with a $50 voucher for The Absolute Home Brew stores, a Six Strings 6 pack, and an engraved glass. Runner-ups received an all grain recipe pack.
The results as follows:

Pale Ale
Winner: Ryan Howard
Runner-up: Brydon Simpson

IPA
Winner: Dan Gury
Runner-up: Scott Harker

Stout
Winner: Ken Johnson
Runner-up: Shane Middleton

Specialty
Winner: Ken Johnson
Runner-up: Adrian Braigot

The Grand Champion prize of brewing your recipe on Six Strings system and the Grand Champion engraved glass went to Dan Gury
Apologies for any misspelt names.

Latest posts

Back