Siphon/transfer Of Keg Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philthy79

Reaction score
Hey guys

I posted OT in this topic last week http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ic=57890&hl=

A little OT :icon_offtopic: I know, but just logged on and after moving house on the weekend, I thought I would sit down with the only keg I have full at the moment... but nothing has come out. Tried another empty keg - put a bit of water in, poured..tap working.. hmm... better go search AHB and then I see this.

Can I do this if I have only one line? Just put the gas on the beer line out?

Apologies to the OP for going OT.

So yesterday evening I attached the gas line to the beer out, and gave it a few spurts of gas. I then reconnected the beer line and gun, got nothing. Bugger, I thought. So after that I grabbed an empty keg, some extra beer line and siphoned from one keg to the other. At about 3/4 the way through the transfer the siphoning stopped and I slowly poured most of the keg into the newer one, stopping when i saw a few bits (hops/sediment) coming through.
I did the usual co2 purge and put it back in the fridge... and poured myself a pint.

My question is.. Will the transfer cause oxidization?

Cheers

Phil

ps- it was wierd siphoning something that actually tasted decent... its usually petrol!

I would think that, given time, any aeration that has occurred from the transfer will cause the beer have some oxidized flavours.

That being said, how long do you think the keg will last? If it is a couple of weeks then probably not a worry.....longer than that and it could be more likely that you will start to pick it up.

I think it would also depend on how much sloshing there was as well. If you were fairly careful (i.e. didn't pour it from a height and get it foaming) it is likely that only a small amount of air was dissolved into solution.

Personally, I'd be more worried about bacteria from my mouth getting into my beer and eating the residual sugars than the potential for oxidation.

Back