single vs triple layer kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing for BIAB awhile now with a 50L pot but with 3 kids it's hard to find the time to keep the kegs filled so I'm looking to upsize to a 95L cheekypeak pot. I currently mash with an OTS element then boil with both element and burner running. Do I need a triple layer pot if I'm going to use a burner? I emailed Cheekypeak and they suggested the triple layer if you use a burner but I don't seem to have a problem currently using a single layer pot with a burner. I've looked through the threads single vs triple layer and there doesn't seem to be any real reason for the triple that I could see. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have the 95L Cheeky Peak single bottom kettle and have used it with a gas burner for the last 2.5 years, no issue so far.
The triple base kettle is better at spreading heat but i cheaped out as they are more expensive.

I have the 95L Cheeky Peak single bottom kettle and have used it with a gas burner for the last 2.5 years, no issue so far.
The triple base kettle is better at spreading heat but i cheaped out as they are more expensive.

Thanks mate, if it wasn't going to make a big difference I couldn't justify the extra cost. Looks like it will be the single base then.

I have their 50l in the triple and a high pressure burner it works great. Only thing I found at first is it holds allot of heat . I usually stop a few degrees short of mash temp as it keeps rising after I shut off the burner as the base stays hot longer., If I over shoot takes ages to cool down

I have been regretting not going up to a bigger size myself lately

I have their 50l in the triple and a high pressure burner it works great. Only thing I found at first is it holds allot of heat . I usually stop a few degrees short of mash temp as it keeps rising after I shut off the burner as the base stays hot longer., If I over shoot takes ages to cool down

I have been regretting not going up to a bigger size myself lately

Thanks, Yeah time is precious on weekends with the kids that's the reason for the bigger size. I wasn't sure if it would warp the bottom or something if it was a single layer and the cost difference will cover postage.

2 elements boil 65 litres for me easily. You can insulate the pot if you go electric and go higher than this is imagine.

I did think about that but wasn't sure if two 2200/2400w elements would be enough for a boil.

2 elements boil 65 litres for me easily. You can insulate the pot if you go electric and go higher than this is imagine.[/QUOTE

Thanks. I like the idea of all electric so might end up going this way once I have the funds for a second element.

Back