Single Vessel Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono_w

Reaction score
Hey Brewers,
Had a day inside today and stared knocking up a single vessel brewery.
98L tank, 3.6kw heating, march pump nothing new really..

DSC_0650.JPGDSC_0652.JPGDSC_0654.JPG

Cheers..

PS: Before anyone says "what about the other unfinished brewery?" I'm still waiting on Powercore to upgrade mains to my house. Grr too busy putting damn smart meters in I guess

Why can i see qa carton of Tooheys Extra Dry and Carlton Draught in the background?

Why can i see qa carton of Tooheys Extra Dry and Carlton Draught in the background?

Haha,
Because sometimes I need to please the masses, Left overs from my 30th, funny how the slabs of Fat Yak went first and I was left with teds and draught..

how much to roll up a vat like that?

This vat is one I got really cheap from an auction about $40 each. At a guess I would think about $200 - $250 to get made??. I rarely pay much for my sheet work as I trade jobs with my sheety mate, I could ask him though.

looks good Jonathon, I'm sure it will be an awesome bit of kit when your finished with it.

cheers steve

Cool build!

Will you be using some sort of perforated basket or a voile bag, or ??

Michael

Hey Brewers,
Had a day inside today and stared knocking up a single vessel brewery.
98L tank, 3.6kw heating, march pump nothing new really..

View attachment 55266View attachment 55267View attachment 55268

Cheers..

PS: Before anyone says "what about the other unfinished brewery?" I'm still waiting on Powercore to upgrade mains to my house. Grr too busy putting damn smart meters in I guess

looks good Jonathon, I'm sure it will be an awesome bit of kit when your finished with it.

cheers steve
Thanks mate, I have been playing with your code, fantastic work. How good is it when we all help out like that and come up with a great bit of code. I will let you know of any changes , bugs or improvements I make.

I notice the Maschine on the table.. you make beats?
Hell yeah, It's a brewery / Beat Lab. You have one too?

Cool build!

Will you be using some sort of perforated basket or a voile bag, or ??

Michael

Yeah there is a smaller drum inside that has a perforated bottom.

Yeah there is a smaller drum inside that has a perforated bottom.

Interesting. What's the recirculation path? You planning from bottom to top, like the Braumeister, or top to bottom?

Thanks!
Michael

How good is it when we all help out like that and come up with a great bit of code. I will let you know of any changes , bugs or improvements I make.

cool mate, please do

cheers

Interesting. What's the recirculation path? You planning from bottom to top, like the Braumeister, or top to bottom?

Thanks!
Michael

This I have been struggling with, I want this machine to be as simple as possible as It is being built for my beer club to use. Both methods have their pros and cons when it comes to building and operating. Either I have to add more plumbing to the top or build a malt pipe. I'm open to opinions.

Good to see a fellow Potlander Portlander getting into the brewing scene.

Good to see a fellow Potlander Portlander getting into the brewing scene.

Absolutely,
There is quite a brewing scene down here with two great Beer clubs. Sun Surf and Beer, ok maybe a bit of wind and rain in there as well.

Well there you have it.

I am an expat. Spent all my troubled youth down there.

This I have been struggling with, I want this machine to be as simple as possible as It is being built for my beer club to use. Both methods have their pros and cons when it comes to building and operating. Either I have to add more plumbing to the top or build a malt pipe. I'm open to opinions.
Having done both I'd go for bottom to top, ala BrauMeister. Can't beat if for simplicity, repeatability and no stuck mashes.

If you haven't had the opportunity, check out one.

Looking pretty flash, especially compared to my agricultural setup.
Having done both flow up and down, ive gone with flow up. I put mine on at brekky, drive the kids to school, do a bit in the boatshed and turn up to lift the mashpot. No way i would do that with flow down . If others are going to be using it i reckon flow up, pretty well idiot proof. Plumbing maybe a bit trickier initially, but worth it imo.
Others seem to have worked out the flowdown path so maybe mine was a design fault..
cheers
Sean

How much wort are you planning on producing with this Jonathon?
The large vat is 98L So I was thinking around 50L-60L of wort.

Having done both I'd go for bottom to top, ala BrauMeister. Can't beat if for simplicity, repeatability and no stuck mashes.

If you haven't had the opportunity, check out one.

Ok thanks Arnie, I haven't seen a Braumeister in operation in the flesh no, but it makes sense.

Looking pretty flash, especially compared to my agricultural setup.
Having done both flow up and down, ive gone with flow up. I put mine on at brekky, drive the kids to school, do a bit in the boatshed and turn up to lift the mashpot. No way i would do that with flow down . If others are going to be using it i reckon flow up, pretty well idiot proof. Plumbing maybe a bit trickier initially, but worth it imo.
Others seem to have worked out the flowdown path so maybe mine was a design fault..
cheers
Sean

2 Votes for flowing up, sounds like the way to go. Reliability and simplicity is what i'm after.

Cheers...

2 Votes for flowing up, sounds like the way to go. Reliability and simplicity is what i'm after.

Cheers...

I am not sure it will be quite that easy. Either route will require fine-tuning of the recirc path / sealing method / amount of perforations of the inner tub, flow rate, etc.

I second the suggestion that you try/observe a Braumeister in action. If you're planning mostly low-gravity brews, then perhaps a bottom-to-top flow will work well. As the grist-to-water ratio increases though, it can be tricky and most Braumeister owners use rice hulls for bigger beers. My thinking, and testing, leads me to say "if you're going to use rice hulls, use the much easier to design top-to-bottom flow."

Good luck and please post your experience!

Michael

Back