Single Tier Ag Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
I have decided to go the single tier option for the new brewery....I plan on using that work bench from bunnings that has been mentioned on a previous thread...its the one which can be built as shelves or a bench....how will pumping from the MT go regarding compaction ? Can a march pump be regulated with a ball valve on the outflow sufficiently......

At this stage I am still going to go with the infusion mash and batch sparge just to keep things simple....later I plan to install a heat exchange coil in the HT for a RIMS setup...

Cheers

View attachment Single_tier_brewery_design.doc

what would be the largest batch size I could achieve with this system,assuming I can control the NASA boil in the kettle.....

Cheers

if your kettle is 50-60l & your esky/mt is also around 50l, then the kettle
will be the limiting factor. i guess if your really watching the kettle, you could boil 80 - 90% volume.

ymmv

rb

I'm setting up a similar sort of system at the moment. Apparently a ball valve to control flow on the outlet side of the pump is ok

From your pic, i see you are planing on using 1/4" ball valves - I'd go for at least 1/2" with a pump

Yeah, I think that the threaded manifold on the march pump is 1/2 inch...so I will use 1/2 ball valves all round....

Cheers

Go via a lauter grant if you want to pump from the mash tun.

tdh

Shunty said:
From your pic, i see you are planing on using 1/4" ball valves - I'd go for at least 1/2" with a pump
[post="74090"][/post]​

Yeah, certainly go the 1/2 inch. Wouldn't take much to block 1/4 inch fittings

tdh said:

tdh
[post="74123"][/post]​

Can you please expand on the reasons for this.

I understand compaction of the grain bed, but is there a reason you must use a grant??

Thanks

Linz said:
tdh said:
[post="74123"][/post]​
Can you please expand on the reasons for this.
I understand compaction of the grain bed, but is there a reason you must use a grant??
[post="74174"][/post]​

The grant eliminates the grain bed compaction problem, as the mash tun drains by gravity into the grant and then you pump out of the grant. It does raise another issue tho as you need regulate your pump outflow so you are not continually pumping the grant dry. Or if you are into teckernerlogical things rig up a float switch control in the grant to switch your pump on and off. If you dont use a grant then it would be more of a balancing act controlling your pump flow.

Hi GI,

Doing a similar redesign myself on the brewery as per another recent thread. I'm going to gravity feed to the kettle so I dont have to pump, I'm a bit nervous about that. I've only ever stuck once but I'm not keen to repeat so I'm going to stick with what works and is easiest.

Anyway, I noted a couple of things with your diagram.

Firstly, now I don't know if this was purely because you wanted to illustrate the pump in your diagram or what, but I noted your pump as being positioned vertically. If your diagram is correct and accurately shows how you were going to mount it, reposition the pump so it's horizontal. They are only designed to run when positioned horizontally (has to do with bearing placement and load). But I'm sure you knew that and it was just for illustration in the diagram.

Secondly, how do you plan to prime your pump? Do you have a bleed valve positioned after the pump (this is the most common method to allow the pump to fill)? If you have a look at a lot of systems most have a T-piece after the pump that allows you to crack open the valve and fill the pump. However, you dont have to do this and it looks like you might be able to use the recirculation loop to open and prime your pump. Or perhaps you plan to do it as I hope to (next paragraph).

I plan to connect all hoses in my brewery at the start of the session so they stay connected for the entire run. Then just redirect as you have planned with the valves. I'm hoping to get around the prime issue by filling all hoses with water before I mash in, that way I can recirculate and hopefully flush all air from the lines and prime my pump before I start, then by not having to disconnect any hoses hopefully I wont introduce any air to the system and wont lose prime on my pump. Lets hope it works ;).

At a quick glance too, I think you could do away with that first valve after the pump-considering the two lines branching off after it both have valves on anyway, why not regulate the flow from these ones. No different and save you a ball valve.

Anyway, looks good so I hope it all pans out well.

Cheers, Justin

Latest posts

Back