Single Or Dual Output Regulator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hey all,

Forgetting about the $$ difference is having a dual output regulator a huge advantage over a single?
I'd be interested to hear the pros and cons if you can help me!!

Cheers Matt

If cost is not a concern you should go the dual output for sure. There are so many advantages it's not funny such as :
-Being able to carbonate a keg/s while still having others at pouring pressure.
-Having 2 completely different styles on tap with different pouring pressures.
-Leaving one outlet free for things such as purging kegs, pressurising fermenters or other vessels and uusing cpbfs.

Depends on how many kegs you run, and what beers you have on tap. When I had a dual tap font, I generally had 2 beers and never any wheats or highly carbonated beers. It wasn't much use then (they generally were run at the same pressure), occasionally useful if I wanted to force carb a beer.

Now I have a 5-tap kegerator and I find it much MUCH more useful. It means I can run some softdrinks as well as beers.

Thanks guys

Sounds like the dual is the way to go.
I do want to do a mix like wheats and Irish Reds so the different
Pressures for each would be great.
I plan to start with a 2 or 3 keg system but who knows in the future.
How many kegs can you run off the one outlet?

Thanks guys

Sounds like the dual is the way to go.
I do want to do a mix like wheats and Irish Reds so the different
Pressures for each would be great.
I plan to start with a 2 or 3 keg system but who knows in the future.
How many kegs can you run off the one outlet?
I hate to be the only person that mentions this but carbing water for soda. Its much cheaper and efficient than the sodastream gas. Most of that is vented into the house and wasted. Plain soda mixes nice with scotch

If you get a manifold with check valves (to prevent back flow through the regulator is a must),it doesn't work that well for even popping the seals on a freshly filled tank.

What I was getting at was in support of a dual regulator setup. One split between your taps and another that could serve one tap at a different pressure but also be used for forced carbing

A con would be an added layer of complexity to a new kegger.
Probably overkill with just 2-3 kegs too. You can just find a single compromise serving level for different styles.
But money no object get the double for future plans.
But you'd be fine with a single for now, you can always upgrade a single to double though I guess it's cheaper to just get the double first up.

I have only 3 kegs and a single output regulator (came with the kegerator), I would love a dual output for all the reasons given.
If you are looking at which to buy, dual for sure.

hsb I would argue that the complexity of a dual-reg is nothing compared to everything else that you need to learn.

just get a single output and as many flow control perlicks you can afford

just get a single output and as many flow control perlicks you can afford
But flow control solves a completely different problem to a dual output reg. Flow control is for balancing, dual reg is for having different carbonation levels for different kegs/taps.

Back