Single Hop Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkel_Boy

Reaction score
I was going to use all Centennial, but stilly me, can't find it anywhere in Australia (easily anyway). I'm considering going to Perle instead, or something else... or should I give up and use two hops?
Grain bill is 96% pale ale malt, 4% 130L/350EBC cara-aroma.

Gotta get some Cascade or Amarillo in there.

Beers,
Doc

Yeah, those are cool hops.
The LHBS owner is looking into some 'super cascade' hops for me... I assume they are just high AA cascade, but that would do me... interesting to see anyway.
I don't completely know about the Perle/Cascade combination, I guess it would work, but I'd really prefer a single-hop IPA.

I think I'll go with Pacific Gem. It was a tossup between Challenger, Green Bullet, Perle, and Pacific Gem. I should just make 5 IPAs with different hops in them. Wish me luck.

Dunkel_Boy said:
I think I'll go with Pacific Gem. It was a tossup between Challenger, Green Bullet, Perle, and Pacific Gem. I should just make 5 IPAs with different hops in them. Wish me luck.
[post="47685"][/post]​

I've done one with all Challenger hops Dunkel_Boy and all Marris Otter malt.
OG 1068 IBU 50

It was bloody lovely IMO.

C&B
TDA

i've got an all simcoe IPA in the fermenter right now - good stuff (if you like it piney)

Drinking one now I brewed in Aug 03

410g Golding whole hops, dunno the IBUs, OG 1084

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:

Jovial Monk
[post="47760"][/post]​

And?? :D
Just found out the LHBS can get Pacific Gem easily, so I'm wrapped/wrapt/rapt/rapped/etc.
For those that want to know, apparently Centennial is known as Super Cascade in a lot of places, which makes a lot of sense looking at the flavour profile and specs... in a single-hop IPA, Centennial or Pacific Gem would be awesome, IMO.
Will be brewing next week, can't wait.
Thanks for the help,
Adrian

Jovial_Monk said:

Jovial Monk
[post="47760"][/post]​

probably not a 5 gal. batch right??

and centenial have a very similair flavor/aroma to cascade with about 10%aa so better for bittering
joe

and centenial have a very similair flavor/aroma to cascade with about 10%aa so better for bittering
joe
[post="47802"][/post]​
[/quote]

...hence why Centennials are called Super Cascade here.
Most hops I've used is 480g of Saaz, for a single-malt pilsener, but that was 10gal and ended up around 50IBU. Anything over 300g is hardcore though, no matter what the volume.

Dunkel_Boy said:
...Most hops I've used is 480g of Saaz, for a single-malt pilsener,

A single-malt Pilsener !!!! If you brewed it before the Stockade one you could be sitting on a fortune !!!!!:p ;)

Dunkel-Boy
I have been looking for centennial aswell, but like ya said, it seems to be impossible, though I know ya can get em in bulk from hop wholesalers, so it seems odd that no brewshops carry em. I just dunno what the hell I would do with 5kg of a single hop! A few brews I wanna do call for the dry hopping of centennial, or centennial AND cascade, which leads me to believe there may be a slightly different flavour profile between the 2. Sierra nevada celebration is one of em, and it is a damn fine beer, so I would like to recreate it as faithfully as possible. Let us know how Pacific Gem is, I may just try and get me hands on that instead, failing that, I will just use amarillo.
All the best, and good luck with ya 5 different hopped IPA's, I would like to find out which ones you find better.
Trent

Plastic Man said:
A single-malt Pilsener !!!! If you brewed it before the Stockade one you could be sitting on a fortune !!!!!:p ;)
[post="47813"][/post]​

Sorry mate, I missed that one.

Trent, I'll probably do two at a time this week, Pacific Gem and Challenger, or if I can get it, Suuuuper Cascade. Both batches in parallel, though it will be a pain to get all the bottles...

I'm currently enjoying enjoying a single hop IPA made with progress...Very enjoyable :chug:

Ross said:
I'm currently enjoying enjoying a single hop IPA made with progress...Very enjoyable :chug:
[post="47844"][/post]​

Ross, what's your grain bill like and which yeast are you using?

DB,

It was just an extract brew 4 kg with crystal & chocolate bittered to 43 IBU at 60 - 30 - 15. Then aroma steeped & dry hopped in secondary...

Looking forward to doing an AG version now I've got my setup complete... :)

I'm actually tempted to just go 3kg worth of Morgans Extra Pale, 250g cara-aroma and about 5 additions of Pacific Gem plus a dry hop, and use Muntons Gold yeast... that way I can just do it after work instead of needing a whole day on the weekend for it... decisions, decisions.

Sounds good, but more a standard ale than an IPA with that low grain bill, or are you increasing % with something else?...

Bugger!
Forgot to add... only making 15L... all grain I can make freakin 60L! Or probably only 45L considering how much grain I'd need to fit in my tiny mash tun...

G'day Trent,

I made an APA with Centennial for bittering and Cascade for flavour/aroma and it was a nice beer. Very 'fruity', almost tropical flavours but not overpowering. I'd love to do it again, but Mark has run out of Centennial... :( Give it a go though, it is worth it.

Shawn.

Back