Single Hop Ipa Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin032

Reaction score
Inspired by the Brewdog IPA is dead series (version 2 is about to be released)

I'm thinking about brewing a batch, splitting it before the boil and creating 3-4 small batches of the same beer with different hops

Brewdog went with:

Sorachi Ace
Nelson Sauvin
Citra
Bramling Cross

and the new IPA is dead series 2 will be:

Galaxy
Motueka
Challenger
HBC

So, any suggestions for hops to try? I've brewed the usual C-hop IPA's in the past. so far I'm keen on trying Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe

What's on your list of hops to try?

The usual C hops go without saying. Simcoe makes an excellent single hop beer, as does Chinook. There are a number of New Zealand hops to try that have some interesting flavours; Motueka, Southern Cross, Riwaka, plus some new Aussies to try; Topaz, Stella, Summer Saaz.

I'm keen to get a few beers down with some first time hops for me.

Citra - I've only had once in Feral's Karma Citra, which was great, but the middle beer in a very long day at the Taphouse.
Pacific Jade/Gem - I can't remember which is meant to be the nice one and which is the terrible one. More research before I buy it for sure.
Topaz - New Aussie I've not tasted yet.

I brewed a 10min IPA using only Motueka recently - wasn't sold on the end result. Certainly enjoyable but I got what I can only describe as an almost a 'stale orange juice' type flavor from it. Either the 10min only addition doesn't work that well with this hop or it needs something else added to compliment the fruitiness? YMMV, others who tasted the beer seemed to like it.

I made a cube hopped IPA using Stella which I have on tap now and is reaaaal drinkable

Not as citrusy or fruity as the american hops, but has a nice floral and spicy note to it.

And as others have said, simcoe and chinook always produce a delicious brewskie

Sponge

pacific gem is the awful one (maybe they're both awful) - i got given a bunch of it and am choking my way through a batch of IPA i made with it. dirty weedy stuff.

I made a cube hopped IPA using Stella which I have on tap now and is reaaaal drinkable

Not as citrusy or fruity as the american hops, but has a nice floral and spicy note to it.

And as others have said, simcoe and chinook always produce a delicious brewskie

Sponge

Would you mind sharing your Stella ipa recipe? I'm just finishing off a keg of Stella apa right now. Aroma dying off now, after about 3 weeks. It was also a very drinkable beer, and I've still got a heap of flowers to use up.
CheersRichard

pacific gem is the awful one (maybe they're both awful) - i got given a bunch of it and am choking my way through a batch of IPA i made with it. dirty weedy stuff.

Pacific Jade has a worse name than Pacific Gem. They use Pacific Gem in Monteith's Original Ale, Tony's clone is here

I used Pacific Gem in a red saison/belgian ale and it's shaping up beautifully. Blackberry character.

Inspired by the Brewdog IPA is dead series (version 2 is about to be released)

I'm thinking about brewing a batch, splitting it before the boil and creating 3-4 small batches of the same beer with different hops

Brewdog went with:

Sorachi Ace
Nelson Sauvin
Citra
Bramling Cross

and the new IPA is dead series 2 will be:

Galaxy
Motueka
Challenger
HBC
Have done a few single hop brews from some of these....
NS - pretty common these days. Very potent, lots of gooseberry and guava. Bitterness can be a bit rough, best of going less rather than more.
Brambling - Really liked this hop. Blackcurrant, bit of English-hop earthiness, compliments Crystal malts. Definately consider using it again.
Galaxy - used flowers. Once again, very pungent. Lots of passionfruit and citrus. Best off used late in boil, bitterness can be very rough.
Motueka - very citrusy. Didn't like the bitterness at all, but in low levels in late boil seems nice. Didn't enjoy dry hop aroma/quality either.
Challenger - another one i'd go back for. Reasonably clean bitterness, nice earthy, dried fruit, marmalade undertones. Once again, goes well with rich crystal malt backbone

I have never brewed with this, but a very good Hunter Brewer did with great results, Trent used Topaz, and was wonderfull. He does not post here these days, but his Topaz SMASH was one of the best beers, IMHO the best, at B&T a few years ago.
Fear

I'd replace Challenger with Northdown - very similar, only better.
And with Chinook one can't go wrong.

Highly recommend Citra for a Single hop job have done it a couple of times now and love it. Just done one with Pacific Jade, hop wise not too bad but wouldn't bother to do it again. The other one I would highly recommend is Galaxy which I have also done a few times with great success.

Anyone share a hop schedule for single hopped chinook beer?

I also found stella good at start then faded away to meh

Pacific Jade has a worse name than Pacific Gem. They use Pacific Gem in Monteith's Original Ale, Tony's clone is here

I used Pacific Gem in a red saison/belgian ale and it's shaping up beautifully. Blackberry character.

blackberry's the worst weed of them all isn't it... you're right though now you've said that i can taste the blackberry. hmm. still pretty rough stuff. monteiths isn't a brewery i'd go out of my way to clone beers from - i'm sure tony's beer is better than anything monteiths could make

blackberry's the worst weed of them all isn't it... you're right though now you've said that i can taste the blackberry. hmm. still pretty rough stuff. monteiths isn't a brewery i'd go out of my way to clone beers from - i'm sure tony's beer is better than anything monteiths could make

I've just kegged and force carbed a Tony's Monteith OA clone.

Used his recipe, but changed it slightly - Maris Otter and slight variation on the malt.

Was a little underwhelmed when it was in primary, so I dry hopped with Pacific Gem and Willamette.

Smelled fantastic on kegging.

Will probably try it tonight - if so, I'll report back on Tony's recipe thread.

Hope all are having a nice beer tonight, enjoying the footy (whatever code you prefer). As Beau Ryan said (when pretending to be Benji) - "James Tamou, we're gonna rip your face off".

Goomba

Like any ingredient it depends on how you use it. Personally I think Pacific Gem is great in a stout, I got 4th in the nationals one year with an all Pacific Gem stout with a fair late addition, and I could see it working well in a bitter, but I probably wouldn't choose a single hop.Ipa.for it...

Highly recommend Citra for a Single hop job have done it a couple of times now and love it. Just done one with Pacific Jade, hop wise not too bad but wouldn't bother to do it again. The other one I would highly recommend is Galaxy which I have also done a few times with great success.

i'll second the all citra, its a hop that has quite depth of dimension and gives quite a few different flavours for just one hop

layer your late additions

Back