Single Batch Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
OK

Finished making up my single batch Mash Tun.

Here are some pics...

We Stu has decide to test it for me - FREE of Charge - what a canny scotsman.

:lol:

SINGLEMASHTUN.jpg

And of the inside....

Will be delivered on sat for use by the MiniFlocs...

Just keep the MTL: Master of The Lists

(aka We Stu informed of its wee rabouts) :lol:

Have fun mashing in it until you get your own gear.

SINGLEMASHTUNINSIDE.jpg

What volume is it, Ken?

not sure - have not filled it up - think it is around 20ltrs....

I have the exact same Mash Tun, not sure of the brand but it has Daddy Cool on the lid, just like GMK's. I found it in my parents garage when I was scrounging AG gear and have never bothered upgrading. Where the tap is located it's got a flat section, so installing a bulkhead is no problems, and it seals perfectly.

It holds the temperature really well, but works best when it's 80%-100% full. Not sure how many liters it is, never bothered measuring. I've had 5kg grain with 12.5 liters of water in this tun before, no worries. That's enough grain to make 21.5 liters @ 1.050, assuming 70% efficiency (although you will lose some of the final volume to dead space in your kettle). If you're like me and make lower gravity beers such as Ordinary Bitters you can easily squeeze out 28 liters @ 1.038. When you're starting out this size mash tun is all you need, and for someone who likes to brew small but brew often, it's all you will ever need. It's only when you start making high gravity beers or double batches that you will need something bigger.

Wee Stu, you'll love this wee mash tun. The Daddy Cool is tops!

Cheers
Mark

MAH

It is a Daddy Cool

I fitted it with Phills 9 inch plastic false bottom as the holes in the plastic are smaller than in the ss.

I also used oen of my SS Ballvalves and SS nut & tail setup so that the false bottom will stay in position and can be easily taken out for cleaning...

Xmas comes early to wee stu!!

Thanx Kenny, I'll promise to take loving care of it.

And MAH, thanx too for the personal seal of endorsement.

AG brewing is one significant step closer for this little sporran handler!

I'm all excited, even if I do have to be good and share it!!

Hey Wee Stu,

I've seen MAH's tun and can vouch for his beers, they are VERY nice. :chug:

You will do well with the Daddy Cool.

Steve

Latest posts

Back