Sincoe And Cascade Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirky

Reaction score
Gday everyone!

Im planning my next brew and would appreciate suggestions..

Im planning on an APA using Simcoe and Cascade (I've heard great things about this combination)

My recipe is;

3kg light malt extract
300 gm dextrose

60 min SIMCOE 15gm
30 min SIMCOE 10gm
5 min CASCADE 20gm
CASCADE 20 gm at flameout
Dryhop 10gm cascade

US-05 yeast at 18 degrees for 14 days in primary, then clear with gelatine and keg.

Brewed to 18 liters.

Estimated IBU's = 47

The dextrose is in there to thin it a touch... Estimated around 5.2-5.5% alc with OG 1055, finishing gravity 1012

Not sure about the combo of simcoe and cascade (some reports say its simcoe is a great late addition hop, others say its too piney and cats piss like as a late addition/ dry hop...

I have found Simcoe and Cascade to be an excellent match as long as you use the Simcoe for the bittering and Cascade for the later hop additions. I made a recipe about a month ago with a very similar hopping schedule, only difference was that the IBU's were a little less around 30.

My version was AG but I think yours would gain from a small addition of crystal or caramalt. (around 200-300g)

Have you steeped grains before?

I have found Simcoe and Cascade to be an excellent match as long as you use the Simcoe for the bittering and Cascade for the later hop additions. I made a recipe about a month ago with a very similar hopping schedule, only difference was that the IBU's were a little less around 30.

My version was AG but I think yours would gain from a small addition of crystal or caramalt. (around 200-300g)

Have you steeped grains before?

Thanks for your reply mate...

Yeah I was an AG brewer, but had a break for 12 months due to time limitations and now I'm brewing again, I just don't have time for AG... I think I have some crystal I could steep... maybe 200 gm crystal...?

I may drop the 60 minute addition to 12gm to get it to 40IBU...

I agree it is very hard to find the time sometimes and extract recipes can still be pretty decent with the addition speciality grains.
I am sure this will turn out great especially seeing that you are experienced and simcoe is a great hop just don't dry hop, use too much of it or mix it with strong citrus hops such as citra as you may get the so called cat pee/acid flavours.

Not sure about the combo of simcoe and cascade (some reports say its simcoe is a great late addition hop, others say its too piney and cats piss like as a late addition/ dry hop...
That combo will work really nice. I love simcoe late but I dry hopped my last APA fairly heavily and noticed the cat-piss thing for the first time. As long as you keep it in the kettle I don't think you'll see it.

The recipe looks pretty nice. I'd push the @30 simcoe a little later but if you're unsure about using to it begin with then leave it where it is. Let us know how it turns out.

Simcoe and Cascade are a great combo. I agree with the earlier comments....adding some steeped grain (carapils, crystal) will give a freshness that you wont get from extract alone. Good idea to add some dextrose as you noted as all LME beers can get a bit 'thick'. I personally also ferment APA US05 at closer to 20deg but that is just my preference....

One piece advice i will give is to try Chinook in that beer (either as a cascade replacement or ideally alongside it). I did an APA recently with simcoe/chinook/cascade and it was my best APA so far easily i would say. Got lots of rave review from others. I got some overly piney flavours from simcoe once in an IPA so i don't use it at all at less than 30 mins. I go with simcoe as bittering/early flavour, than chinook and cascade as mid flavour/aroma. You may find different.

Gotta keep those piney/resiny flavours out of our APAs... :blink:

Ok bum fair enough some people like that in their apas. I'm not against it per se just dont' want it to dominate the other hops is all but that is just my preference. The cat piss thing is more about dry hopping with simcoe but then again some people may want that flavour too...

All to their own, but I think that simcoe if used properly as a complimentary hop and not as the primary flavour/aroma hop can create a more full flavoured and balanced APA.

Back