Simple stout recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a recipe today for "white stout". **** me.

I mean, I like Americans as much as anyone else does. But the needless reinvention, fads and fashionista spinny-spinny-spinny bullshit that their market is foisting on the beer-brewing world is mind-boggling. I am waiting for NAMBI to be thing (that's North African Millet Beer for Idiots). Followed by PAMBI (Pissed Americans Making Bullshit Institutional).
white stout??? what do they call it?? kkk-kreme?

Last edited:
Are you willing to roast your own grain? Its not hard, and you can do it in a pan or oven. If you are I can convert a stout recipe for you.

If your not willing to experiment and try something new then your stuff out of luck with what you got

I'm sure i can roast, i mean a chef of 35 years i think i can handle that.

Kadmium's right. Won't be a stout. Using what you have, the closest you'll probably get is a version of stout's older brother, porter.

Assuming 5 kg total grist for @23L

40% Ale
43% Vienna
17% Light chocolate

Brewfather gives me 89 EBC, so plenty dark. IBUs around 37 would work. Nobody really knows what porter is anyway, so you can do whatever you like.

Good luck.

Thats what i was after, maybe i should have said what can i brew that resembles a stout with my current grain stock.

Thats what i was after, maybe i should have said what can i brew that resembles a stout with my current grain stock.
in times like this, just be creative with what you've got and don't worry too much about what it's called. you can create some real gems out of what looks like not much to work with o_O

Ok so i used Mashbashers suggested recipe and brewed it last Thursday, OG of 1.054 and pitched S04 on Friday.
Kicked off late friday and over the weekend and by this morning fermentation has slowed down but still reached an SG of 1.014, will leave for a few more days then cold crash and bottle.

Back