Simple Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter

Reaction score
I have a quantity of Export Pilsner malt, vienna, munich, victory, pale ale malt, maris otter and golden promise. Hops are Cascade, Saaz, Galaxy, Amarillo, EKG, Fuggles.

Could someone, without me trailing through all of the recipe data base, give me a idea for a simple BIAB lager using malts and hops from the above list.

Thanks.

AAAaaargh - can anyone spell 'Lager' right? :p

As for the question, the export pilsner, a decoction mash if possible with your equipment. Otherwise 3% or so of Melanoidin malt.

Around 25 IBU, mostly at 60 minutes with Saaz.

Lager yeast.

The above posts have the recipe but I will add go for at least a 90min boil to drive off any unwanted DMS. Saaz all the way.

Thanks for the above and yes I can spell Lager, a slip of the finger - lol.

Not too sure I can carry out a decoction mash - but i will read up on it and see what can be done with my urn and BIAB.

Thanks again.

You can make a few lagers using those ingredients, sub the Saaz for the German noble hops if you don't want to buy them.
Munich Helles: 90-100% Pils, 6% Munich, 4% Carapils, German Noble hops (bittering only) to 20IBU
Vienna: 45% Vienna, 30% Pils, 24% Munich, 3% Cara (pils or aroma depending on rest of grain bill), German Noble hops to 30IBU, add some @10mins
BoPils: 95-100% pils, 2-5% Carapils (or a decoction), 45IBU with the Saaz (early mid and late additions).
Munich Dunkel: 85-90% Munich, 10% Vienna, 3-5% Cara (pils or aroma or even Carafa), German Noble hops to 25IBU, add some @20mins

This is what I ended up doing.

Simple Lager Pilsener)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 4.3 (EBC): 8.4
Bitterness (IBU): 25.4 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)

90% Pilsner 4.5kg
10% Munich I 0.5 kg

1.5 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) 35g
0.9 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) 20g
1.1 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) 25g

1/2 tab Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes - Mash out at 76 DegC for 10 mins.

Fermented at 14C with Swiss Lager yeast.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Thats for 23 ltrs, which normally gives me about 21 into my cube and 19 in to my fermenter.

For a beginner a simple hochkurz infusion mash would be fine, most commercial German breweries do this anyway. Third diagram down the page. Either heat the mash or start thick and thin it to each stage with boiling water.

Back