Simcoe and amarillo in a Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuddnuddler

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Am planning a simple pale ale - Coopers Pale Ale tin, 1kg LDM, 200 caramunich or medium grain.
Hops are simcoe and amarillo - just wondering how much of each for a hoppy ale? I haven't used simcoe before...
Any thoughts?
Cheers

Go easy on the Simcoe as a dry / late hop addition
I resently dry hopped a APA with 200g/20lts of simcoe
(i know this is over the top )
But all i could taste was PINE
And did not like it
Also dry hopped 200g/20lts Cascade
200g/20lts Citra
200g/20lts Galaxy
All same beer made with same mash
All turned out good other than the Simcoe
Doesn't really relate to K&K but you get the idea

fuddnuddler said:
Greetings all,
Am planning a simple pale ale - Coopers Pale Ale tin, 1kg LDM, 200 caramunich or medium grain.
Hops are simcoe and amarillo - just wondering how much of each for a hoppy ale? I haven't used simcoe before...
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Tough question to answer, so many variations to make a "hoppy ale"....one of which is dry hopping with 800 grams of hops apparently....

Are you planning on doing a boil? Or just looking for dry hopping advice? The Coopers Pale Ale kit will give you less than 20 IBU in a 23 litre brew, so I would recommend a boil. Dry hopping alone will give you a big up front hop aroma hit, but this will lessen significantly in the bottle over time.

helles said:
Go easy on the Simcoe as a dry / late hop addition
If, at gun point, I were forced to choose a favorite hop it would probably be Simcoe but I agree completely with this advice. It really needs to be a supporting hop really late rather than the star. Going really hard at flameout or dry with it is what gives it it's "cat piss" reputation with its detractors. Blend it with pretty much any new world type hop and the beer will be 100 times better.

I hear a lot about Simcoe on yank brewing videos etc, but I've never had my hands on any. People keep saying the overwhelming taste/smell is "pine". I'm trying to figure out exactly how pine would taste in a beer and why you'd want it to taste like that, but apparently just about every high rated "hoppy" American beer in existence seems to use it, so maybe I should get my hands on some.

Anyway, so far as dry hopping rates, don't think of it by total weight as much as "grams per litre". If you have no idea what you're going to end up with, maybe try 2g/L, that should be enough to give you a good aroma but not enough to be completely face-exploding if it doesn't turn out the way you want.

I agree with Bum, great hop in support, any 'C' hop or as you are with amarillo. If you are unfamiliar with the hop I wouldnt go higher than 1g per L even as a blend with amarillo, at least if it's not to your taste it wont be so overpowering that it's undrinkable.

That said, personally id have no qualms about a small flavour and aroma addition with a dry hop as above.. in the order of 5 of each @ 20 and 0.. I quite like Simcoe, just not too much as has been noted

Cheers

Thanks for all the thoughts...am planning a boil, so will go easy on the simcoe, and likely follow Yob's suggestion.
Cheers

slash22000 said:
I hear a lot about Simcoe on yank brewing videos etc, but I've never had my hands on any. People keep saying the overwhelming taste/smell is "pine". I'm trying to figure out exactly how pine would taste in a beer and why you'd want it to taste like that, but apparently just about every high rated "hoppy" American beer in existence seems to use it, so maybe I should get my hands on some.

Anyway, so far as dry hopping rates, don't think of it by total weight as much as "grams per litre". If you have no idea what you're going to end up with, maybe try 2g/L, that should be enough to give you a good aroma but not enough to be completely face-exploding if it doesn't turn out the way you want.
When they say "pine" they don't mean woody, they mean resiny. Go snap a small branch off a pine tree (radiata/monterey) and wipe the broken part on your hand. Smell your hand. Simcoe.

The term you're looking for is "terpenes", probably pinene.

brentice said:
i have tasted pine first hand and i recon the beers ive made with simcoe hops are alot better.

Pine had a woody and dry texture to it :p :p
I suspect your pine was not fresh.....

maybe look at a different supplier

Latest posts

Back