Silly Question?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyG

Reaction score
Has anyone every tried brewing with 2 different yeast's in the wort? If you have how did it turn out :blink: What was the benefits/Uglies of doing it. :ph34r:

:eek: Your only asking for trouble if you put 2 different strains of yeast into the one brew.....like asking Bin Laden to have a sleep over with George Bush...I believe a fight would errupt before midnight..... :lol:

And why would you want to use 2 different yeasts anyway.??

Cheers JWB

Well JWB, I have to confess :unsure: My current wort has 2 difference yeast in it. I used a wyeast 3944 for intial ferment but did not aerate enough :( so I got a stuck ferment. Grumpy's suggested to get my wort moving again I should put in a dried yeast that's a hard worker <_< so I did and the ferment chugged along again.

I havent tasted yet, but it will be interesting though!

Commercial brewers often use mixed strains of yeast. Provided the strains are complimentary, there should be no problems. You might develop a new house culture!

hi barney
i will quote an american brew catalogue "beer beer and more beer"
yes,the art side of personal brewing.creative brewers may combine strains to achieve unique new,personalized flavour profiles.experimenting is a natural step in the process of crafting ones own series of signature beers.

one note fellas is many typical strains of yeast are not one single strain to start with wyeast even produce smack packs with many different strains in one pack.

one noteable strain which is said to be a single strain is nottingham ale.

but this is not what your taking about i see but well worth noting.

cheers jayse

thanks for the replies lads :D this little brewer is much happier.

Back