Silly Question From Newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is like asking, "Which is the better half of a woman - the top or the bottom."

Now I've thought long and hard about this question, and it's easy to jump the gun and say, "Well, the bottom half, of course."

But given a bit of reflection, and time to ponder a future with only those options I consider the bottom and top half equal in merit.

What was the question again?

If you get the bottom half, can I have the top half. I'll get titties and head.

QldKev

the top half would also be capable of talking, deal breaker

Maybe I think differently to you guys but my first thought was the front half...

The main benefits of BIAB are low cost start-up, space saving, simplicity of operation and ability to make a large range of beer styles, and do it very well.

As a retailer I sell and support a wide range of options all the way from kit to about as advanced as you can get, I think BIAB is a great way to get started, but like any system it has its limitations, I would strongly urge anyone going BIAB to go full volume, trying to brew too concentrated (in too small a pot) will only further limit what you can achieve with any system.
Please no one get your panties in a bunch, Im just saying you make better beer in appropriately sized equipment, you will also get more flexibility in the types of beer you can make and will have a better resource for future development of your system.
Mark

Maybe I think differently to you guys but my first thought was the front half...

The main benefits of BIAB are low cost start-up, space saving, simplicity of operation and ability to make a large range of beer styles, and do it very well.

As a retailer I sell and support a wide range of options all the way from kit to about as advanced as you can get, I think BIAB is a great way to get started, but like any system it has its limitations, I would strongly urge anyone going BIAB to go full volume, trying to brew too concentrated (in too small a pot) will only further limit what you can achieve with any system.
Please no one get your panties in a bunch, Im just saying you make better beer in appropriately sized equipment, you will also get more flexibility in the types of beer you can make and will have a better resource for future development of your system.
Mark

That is an excellent bit of advice, BIAB was initially tested and discussed as a full volume mash system and works best that way.

Andrew

Please no one get your panties in a bunch, I'm just saying you make better beer in appropriately sized equipment, you will also get more flexibility in the types of beer you can make and will have a better resource for future development of your system.
Mark

Yeah top post Mark, I fully agree..........................The front half is so much better :lol:
I agree that going full volume is the way to go. Biab should be a simple single vessel process & for new players, keeping it simple will enable you to get great results with a minimum of equipment & low cost compared to other more advanced systems. If you wish to get into the more technical side of things, a PID controlled set up on a 3V Herms or Rims system is worth looking into. If you still like the single vessel idea, I think the Braumeister would be hard to beat.

:lol:
Volume- limited BIAB (i.e. 'concentrated') is no more limited than any other method: low- OG beers are a no- brainer; you can make 5% ABVs at full volume easily; plus high-OG is done in much the same way many single- batch 2/3V systems achieve it- by reducing the batch volume! :rolleyes: If anything, you have more flexibility with the method without any added expense or risk. I say use the cheap ubiquitous equipment at all ends of the OG and volume spectrum, full- volume BIAB imposes arbitrary and unnecessary limits.

I've been brewing AG for 12 months now and if it wasn't for BIAB I would have ditched the kits and gone back to megaswill. Great advice Mark. I'm living proof that BIAB is a great entry level option. So good in fact that I doubt I will ever move on.............may drop a bit of my super in years to come on a BM as a retirement present but BIAB will do me until then.

Not sure how big you mean by "full volume", by I've scored a 50L stock pot, that should be big enough to do pretty much anything I would think.

I'm only planning on brewing a little over 20-23L at a time. Maybe a little more at a stretch, but not much more than that.

You'll shit it in my friend!

Not sure how big you mean by "full volume", by I've scored a 50L stock pot, that should be big enough to do pretty much anything I would think.

I'm only planning on brewing a little over 20-23L at a time. Maybe a little more at a stretch, but not much more than that.

Full volume refers to using ALL the water required for the brew into the mash tun typically up to 30+ lt, your fifty litre pot will be ample for 23 lt brews.

Andrew

:lol:
Volume- limited BIAB (i.e. 'concentrated') is no more limited than any other method: low- OG beers are a no- brainer; you can make 5% ABVs at full volume easily; plus high-OG is done in much the same way many single- batch 2/3V systems achieve it- by reducing the batch volume! :rolleyes: If anything, you have more flexibility with the method without any added expense or risk. I say use the cheap ubiquitous equipment at all ends of the OG and volume spectrum, full- volume BIAB imposes arbitrary and unnecessary limits.

Homebrew retailers get the shits when you spend $30 at Big W and not $400 with them and then beat them in a competition.

You can hardly blame them for being a bit snotty. :lol: :D

But I agree - go full volume. It's less complicated.

As the only retailer to have posted in this thread I think we can take it as read that thats just nick taking another cheap shot.
I stand by the advice I gave, based on my experience and a lot of study on the subject I believe you will get better results working in full volume than in a smaller pot.
No recommendations at what you should use, be it a couple of hundred dollar Robinox pot, an urn a modified keg or whatever you choose, other than that it be big enough to hold the full volume for the beer you want to make. There is no financial advantage to me or anyone else in the advice I gave. What I posted was clearly and simply an answer the question asked and some advice to help the OP to make the best beer he can and nothing else.

Again - it's bad form to attack the person when you disagree with their post. Attack the post.
Remember this Nick? It was only yesterday so it shouldnt be too hard; you might think you were being very subtle and clever (you arent), I think everyone knows you are just being an arsehole and like I said taking cheap shots whenever you get the chance.
Mark

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't get your panties in a bunch - but high gravity brewing is great, makes great beers, and above all...

...seems to annoy Mark somewhat (he slips in that no one should ever be brewing in 19L pots at every available occasion). That makes it even more special to me. :D

Both those threads I did have over 100,000 hits combined. People are buying ingredients from you because I knew that while guys like you were providing high-end info on this site, no one was helping out those wanting a simple transition to AG. Keep saying it's a bad brewing method, my panties unbunch quickly. You're only making yourself seem petty - especially in light of those who know what they're doing beating all other forms of brewing with beers made in a pot from Big W. TBH, I can see why that shits you - but it still makes me feel a bit sad for you.

Anyway, it's with a heavy heart that you finally enter my ignore list. Which is sad because without the pettiness, you write great posts.

Does Mark have stitches down the centre of his face?

I'm just trying to work out where the ball ends and the man starts, is all...

Classy as ever, Nick.

As the only retailer to have posted in this thread I think we can take it as read that that's just nick taking another cheap shot.
I stand by the advice I gave, based on my experience and a lot of study on the subject I believe you will get better results working in full volume than in a smaller pot.
No recommendations at what you should use, be it a couple of hundred dollar Robinox pot, an urn a modified keg or whatever you choose, other than that it be big enough to hold the full volume for the beer you want to make. There is no financial advantage to me or anyone else in the advice I gave. What I posted was clearly and simply an answer the question asked and some advice to help the OP to make the best beer he can and nothing else.

Remember this Nick? It was only yesterday so it shouldn't be too hard; you might think you were being very subtle and clever (you aren't), I think everyone knows you are just being an arsehole and like I said taking cheap shots whenever you get the chance.
Mark

Strange concept, the spending $40 at Big W against $400 at LHBS for pro gear etc. etc.

I got into this homebrew dealio to save money, so if I can get the gear I need cheap, I will.

Being a uni student as well I suppose....

Latest posts

Back