Silicon Tubing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

#beerbackhome
Reaction score
I have a new urn to use as a HLT with a tap that has an end with an OD of just over 18mm. What is the smallest size silicon tube I can fit over it to pipe the water to my mash tun? 12.5mm is common but would it stretch that far? do I need 15mm? 16mm? Is there some magic fitting I should know about?

I have a new urn to use as a HLT with a tap that has an end with an OD of just over 18mm. What is the smallest size silicon tube I can fit over it to pipe the water to my mash tun? 12.5mm is common but would it stretch that far? do I need 15mm? 16mm? Is there some magic fitting I should know about?
Mate ,
Is it possible to put a barb on the end ?Can you/do you have all thread on the end of the tap ?
Maybe a pic would help ?
I have stretched silicone hose a bit , but not sure that you would get it that far...my 2c
Cheers
Ferg

Not the best photo but...
It is straight and shiny with nothing to grip on to and is 18.3mm dia

8621-765.jpg

Silicon hose is incredibly elastic - I've had mine blow up like a balloon when I accidentally left it on the high static pressure side of a valve... got to it before it burst.

Andy

Latest posts

Back