Sigmind's Voss Kveik Yeast - Perfect for Australian Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be pedantic but it's not really a lager if you don't use lager yeast. But other than that great tips!
Appreciate the correction, any idea what it would be called?
I’m still trying to figure out what style of beer I like, but think it might be a mashup.
Sorry if off topic

But yes, i have mine in a temp controlled fridge at around 30oC. I've been fairly happy with the results so far, but have also noticed, that after about 2-3 from pitching, and an extreamly agressive krausen, it can stall, so maybe i am just underpitching the amount i need.
More likely it's a bit cool (30c) I ferment at 35c and it seems the less I pitch the harder it goes, have settled on 8 to 9 gms dried flakes.

More likely it's a bit cool (30c) I ferment at 35c and it seems the less I pitch the harder it goes, have settled on 8 to 9 gms dried flakes.

Is that 8 to 9 g's for a 23L batch?

Are you using a commercial isolate or a multistrain?

Cheers, just turned the temp up. I’ve been reusing the yeast from previous batches, been collecting and storing in jars in the fridge. I use about a tablespoon so as you can probably tell, I’m far from a “exact” science guy on this, just playing and seeing atm.

Not to be pedantic but it's not really a lager if you don't use lager yeast. But other than that great tips!

That's fair enough but there are now some strains that do a much better job at creating fast faux lagers than Voss. Oslo and Skare are very much lager-like and will do the trick if you don't have the fermentation control or patience for a lager fermentation. They do still get better with some cold conditioning but get to a good drinking stage much earlier. Clarity will be as good. The trick is getting your pH and buffering right to prevent the final product becoming too sour - it's been the biggest game changer for the kveik beers I've made..

Is that 8 to 9 g's for a 23L batch?

Are you using a commercial isolate or a multistrain?
Yep 23 lt. I pour the slurry onto a santised tea towel and just let it dry out, then break the bits up and keep it in clip lock bags at fridge temp's.
I've tried Kveik King, Loki, and Voss, I found not too much to choose between them, but Kveik King is probably my favourite. Be aware with ales (haven't done any lagers) that there's a similarity in taste almost independent of style, it's sort of a mandarin tone and can also have a faint hint of bitterness, best way I can describe it is the white pith you get under the skin/zest of citrus. I really like it in Belgians, and vintage style ales, but hate it in English bitters. Really should try it in an IPA but my next Kveik brew will be an export stout, so maybe after that. I did get a bit "Kveiked out" due to different brews all coming out with a "sameness" but it's remarkable stuff.

Appreciate the correction, any idea what it would be called?
I’m still trying to figure out what style of beer I like, but think it might be a mashup.
Sorry if off topic
It's a hard one. In reality, similar to a Kolsch, it's lager style but lagers really do need to be fermented with lager yeast (Saccharomyces pastorianus)

Kolsch is a German ale brewed at cold temps. Not quite a lager, different profile but similar. I was just being pedantic.

It's a hard one. In reality, similar to a Kolsch, it's lager style but lagers really do need to be fermented with lager yeast (Saccharomyces pastorianus)

Kolsch is a German ale brewed at cold temps. Not quite a lager, different profile but similar. I was just being pedantic.
i'm a noob, so happy for the input, means i might also start to try some Kolsch beers, and see if thats my thang

i'm a noob, so happy for the input, means i might also start to try some Kolsch beers, and see if thats my thang
made a couple of brews a couple of summers ago with 100% weyermans premium pale (cos it was the lightest ebc i could get), with wyeast kolsch, in bris temperatures, so low to mid 20s in my ferment cupboard. had a bobek/santium finishing hops on it.
absolutely sensational, aged a few for nearly a year, and almost a delicate chardonnay wood on the palate from the hops choice. brilliant.
can use in more robust stuff as well, but that showed to me that you can go pretty lageresque with it.

I love kolsch. Brewung up a Schwarzbeir using kolsch yeast and method in 2 beers. Next is a robust porter.

Giving the hop bombs a pass for a couple brews, let my pallette recover.

Yep 23 lt. I pour the slurry onto a santised tea towel and just let it dry out, then break the bits up and keep it in clip lock bags at fridge temp's.
I've tried Kveik King, Loki, and Voss, I found not too much to choose between them, but Kveik King is probably my favourite. Be aware with ales (haven't done any lagers) that there's a similarity in taste almost independent of style, it's sort of a mandarin tone and can also have a faint hint of bitterness, best way I can describe it is the white pith you get under the skin/zest of citrus. I really like it in Belgians, and vintage style ales, but hate it in English bitters. Really should try it in an IPA but my next Kveik brew will be an export stout, so maybe after that. I did get a bit "Kveiked out" due to different brews all coming out with a "sameness" but it's remarkable stuff.
Oohhh. Oohhh you have kveik! Time to visit I think!

Latest posts

Back