Sigmind's Voss Kveik Yeast - Perfect for Australian Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This yeast is available to buy as a liquid yeast, and it's fermentation range is 70 - 100 degrees Fahrenheit (about low 20s to mid 30s in Celsius, I believe).

https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/sigmunds-voss-kveik

Has anyone tried this yeast? To go to mid 30s and not produce fusels and harsh phenolics sounds amazing and would mean I could ferment and room temperature all year round here in Brisbane.

yeah I wouldn't mind having a go at some Kveik yeast . David Heath on youtube does quite a few different brews with different strains of kveik yeast

I tried it once, not crazy about the results. Slightly cider-like, which may have been infection or low-carbonation related. I kinda screwed up this batch. I'll need to use it on a few more beers. Others have used it to great effect. I also need to use it at 30C+.

Gap, fair point :)

Gloveski, cheers for the tip, I'll check out those videos.

Hirschb, yeah apparently it prefers those higher temps eh. I was thinking this yeast could be a good one to try for my "yeast stick" experiment.

I've got some in my fridge and I'm waiting till summer to use it.

From what I've read a few people have successfully used it to make IPA-esque beers.

But it does sound like you need to keep it 30C or over to get the best out of it.

Kaisereben, it'd be great to hear how that goes, please post about it :) I love the idea of brewing in summer without refrigeration.

What's that stuff they sell at BigW for $2 a pack? Brigalow I think it is labelled as. I think it is meant to be Mauri brew or something of the sort. Made in Queensland if I am not mistaken. Give that a go, that will work under hot conditions.

Coopers kit yeast is another one.

I've used the yeast a couple of times recently - just bottled one tonight (that I brewed on Saturday) following a recipe I use for a saison dupont clone just to compare. I did get it down to 1.006 but this one did contain some sugar in the grain bill. I mashed at a higher temp (66ºC for 60) for this one because...

Before that I did a version of a LCBA but mashed at 64ºC for 90min because I was worried it would finish high with a lot of talk saying it finishes at 1.015. It ended up finishing at 1.007. Taste though I'm very happy with and found it fruitier than the American Ale version I usually do. Definitely not Belgian fruity though (or cidery), more orange... it really suited the style and was not much different from the more standard yeast. I increased the bittering slightly to balance the extra alcohol but that was probably unneeded. I can confirm there are no harsh fusels or phenolics. I've been asked to get more of this ready for Christmas as it has gone down well with harsher critics than myself.

I pitched and fermented it at 37ºC and bottled on the 4th day. I used less sugar for carbonation that I should have, once again due to reading that the yeast is traditionally non-carbonated. I would prefer more carbonation and have done so for the recently bottled.

I've got ingredients ready to try this as an IPA next and will let you know how the farmhouse style tastes. My goal was to find a yeast to use in these pale ales while brewing in Brisbane so will be playing with it more as well as the dupont yeast I got from a couple of tallies.

Yeah, it can go higher apparently :) I wanted to start at an extreme and work backwards. It's pretty much the temp I get out of the grainfather so worked well - I hate wasting water while chilling and Brisbane tap water temp gets right up there during spring/summer. I used a couple of temp controlled heat belts within a fridge in a hot garage which kept the temp quite steady without needing the heat belts active too often. Plan was/ (and is) to have them outside the fridge (with the belts) but the temp has fluctuated here a bit due to rain.

The bottles I filled last night are already tight and will be doing a tester tonight out of curiosity. The flavours are meant to evolve very fast.

This new one is going to be great as well; the orange citrus flavour really shines through. My co-taster-in-crime, who isn't a massive beer drinker, was very excited drinking it and said it was almost like an orange juice flavour with no prompting from myself. There was a little sweetness there but it could be due to some residual priming sugar not full eaten yet. It was still very dry despite this so may need a higher mash temp if it's going to be used with an IPA.

I'll see how it goes once full carbonated and give a more reasonable time to age but pretty cool that it's only 6 days old, fermented hot with no consequence. I'll probably mash the next version a bit higher if the sweetness does disappear.

Where'd you source the yeast mate, keen to try it out

Just thought i'd add to this thread,
I've been using Voss in my lager i've been making for a few batches now. Its super aggressive, and i wouldnt recommend an airlock, as the krausen will just endup in there, it is super fast. Use some cling wrap (sanitized) over the top of the fermenter, it's a bit more forgiving, you may also like to pick a tiny hole in it.
But yes, i have mine in a temp controlled fridge at around 30oC. I've been fairly happy with the results so far, but have also noticed, that after about 2-3 from pitching, and an extreamly agressive krausen, it can stall, so maybe i am just underpitching the amount i need.

Just thought i'd add to this thread,
I've been using Voss in my lager i've been making for a few batches now. Its super aggressive, and i wouldnt recommend an airlock, as the krausen will just endup in there, it is super fast. Use some cling wrap (sanitized) over the top of the fermenter, it's a bit more forgiving, you may also like to pick a tiny hole in it.
But yes, i have mine in a temp controlled fridge at around 30oC. I've been fairly happy with the results so far, but have also noticed, that after about 2-3 from pitching, and an extreamly agressive krausen, it can stall, so maybe i am just underpitching the amount i need.
Not to be pedantic but it's not really a lager if you don't use lager yeast. But other than that great tips!

couple of 'where do it get it' comments above.
if in brissie, hoppy days at virginia has got a pretty decent range of liquid kveiks (no affiliation, just my lhbs).

couple of 'where do it get it' comments above.
if in brissie, hoppy days at virginia has got a pretty decent range of liquid kveiks (no affiliation, just my lhbs).
I sourced mine from Grain and Grape in Melbournes West, again no affiliation, but my LHBS

Back