Sight Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except the lacto-bacillus used to sour lambics i introduced post boil.

Today I updated the sight glass on my kettle to a PFE tube with compression elbow which I happened to acquire from work (obsolete components).

SightGlassPFE.jpg

http://brewiki.org/BrewPot

My HLT is a Malleys water heater, would love to put a sight glass in it, but worried how I go about putting one through the double S/S skin - any tips for the mechanically challenged would be most welcome...

Ross said:
My HLT is a Malleys water heater, would love to put a sight glass in it, but worried how I go about putting one through the double S/S skin - any tips for the mechanically challenged would be most welcome...
[post="56171"][/post]​

If the outside skin is just to hold in the insulation, you would presumably fix the fitting to the inner skin (sealed) and have a bigger hole in the outer skin.

They presumably have fittings going through the double skin already. How are these arranged?

Yes when you read this thread 100c boil will not kill bugs?

So your grain is far form sterile , the water is not sterile , your boil it still be not sterlie , in your fermenter with your yeast , bugs there too. :(

Open your fermenter the rack the wort in...hell there's air in there , gotta be bugs floating about :unsure:

I don't think a sight glass in your kettle is going too make any difference , we are doomed anyway :huh:

Lucky I can sleep at night with all this cr&p

Batz :ph34r:

RAHAHB

sosman said:
They presumably have fittings going through the double skin already. How are these arranged?
[post="56176"][/post]​

Sosman,

The water drains out the centre of the bottom & then out through a side fitting that's below the actual S/S bowl, there are no side fittings through the bowl itself, otherwise I'd have been able to see how it was done. The difficulty I see, is getting a seal on the inner curved surface when Ive got the outercasing to contend with as well. Maybe easier to come through the bottom & then through the side, like the tap??

Ross
Is there any way of tapping a riser into the pipe which already goes to the tap fitting?

Ausdb

I use a S/S dip stick witch sits on the edge off my boiler works well i have marks up the side to check water level, this is easy to clean.

Stagger

ausdb said:
Ross
Is there any way of tapping a riser into the pipe which already goes to the tap fitting?

Ausdb
[post="56182"][/post]​

Never thought of that - Unfortunately I'll have to dismantle it to find out - but could be a much easier option - Thanks :D

Hey Batz,
I am only trying to give advice.
Sure nothing is sterile. The problem with these bugs is not that they are going to kill you but "MAY" infect your beer.
The real point is that these bugs are heat resistent. If they also have a food source (ie uncleaned sight glass elbow), hey can build up to levels NEVER encounted naturally on grain.
Do me a favour and measure the temp of the wort in your sight glass at full boil.
Report back if you could.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Hey Batz,
I am only trying to give advice.
Sure nothing is sterile. The problem with these bugs is not that they are going to kill you but "MAY" infect your beer.
The real point is that these bugs are heat resistent. If they also have a food source (ie uncleaned sight glass elbow), hey can build up to levels NEVER encounted naturally on grain.
Do me a favour and measure the temp of the wort in your sight glass at full boil.
Report back if you could.
cheers
Darren
[post="56199"][/post]​

OK
Will try to stick a tel-tru in there when I get the brewery up again , would like to take a reading in the ball value extension , and the value itself too , bit hard that.....bet it's not boiling :huh:

Batz

ross
fibre washers will seal the inner and outer .i use these no worries.

Latest posts

Back