Sight Glass For Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobjF

Reaction score
Guys im very slowly putting together my equipment for all grain setup out of CUB kegs. Im looking for the last few bits for my HLT. I want a good sight glass, I have seen some on Youtube in the sates that come with latex numbers to calibate them with but as yet havnt found one in Aus that come's with anything to calibate it with. Any Ideas guys, what products are other people using, any comment welcome. There seems to be alot of different products out there EBay etc.

Cheers Rob

Guys im very slowly putting together my equipment for all grain setup out of CUB kegs. Im looking for the last few bits for my HLT. I want a good sight glass, I have seen some on Youtube in the sates that come with latex numbers to calibate them with but as yet havnt found one in Aus that come's with anything to calibate it with. Any Ideas guys, what products are other people using, any comment welcome. There seems to be alot of different products out there EBay etc.

Cheers Rob

I calibrated mine with a 1L jug and a tap and a permanent marker.

Tip 1L into HLT, mark the tube, tip another in mark the tube etc, etc. Once I got about 15 litres in I measured the previous two marks and used that for the rest. Took about 15 minutes and two beers.

Easy as.

Once I got about 15 litres in I measured the previous two marks and used that for the rest. Took about 15 minutes and two beers.

Shit, there's thinkin'. I did 1L increments up to 60L on two vessels. Took ******* ages and no beers.

On another note, I got a sight glass cleaning brush from Brew Hardware when I ordered the sight glasses, but I've managed to misplace it.

It's getting kinda scummy - anyone know where I can get something similar, or some other item than I can re-purpose?

:icon_offtopic: as OP is using a keggle, but might help someone:

For calibration, I just worked out that in a straight-sided vessel with diameter D (in cm), a 1L increment will be h = 4000/(pi*D^2), once you're past any elements/taps/curvature of the bottom or whatever. No use for keggles though. Also doesn't take the small volume inside the sight glass into account, but may be handy if you want to avoid jug-pouring the whole way or to make sure you're on track.

Shit, there's thinkin'. I did 1L increments up to 60L on two vessels. Took ******* ages and no beers.

On another note, I got a sight glass cleaning brush from Brew Hardware when I ordered the sight glasses, but I've managed to misplace it.

It's getting kinda scummy - anyone know where I can get something similar, or some other item than I can re-purpose?
You can get cleaning brushes for tubing from a fish aquarium place.

Cheers

Back