Sight Glass Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I am waiting for delivery of my Tel Tru's from the US and have decided to postpone my first AG until they are fitted...So...Looking for something to podge around with while I am waiting I have decided to have a go at a sight glass on the HLT.
I have a basic idea of what fittings should be used (but don't know what they are called) and have searched the archive here and found some pictures of other set up's to get a better idea of what is involved.

A few questions,

is Acrylic ok to use or is it better to go for polycarbonate, could I even use vinyl at a push? :huh:

What is the easiest way to put the whole thing together and how do you form a seal where the tube meets the fittings?

I know it is not essential to have a sight glass to start off with but I have some spare time and am starting to twitch sitting around waiting for my first AG so this will keep me amused for a bit!

Cheers.

Guess who Brizbrew, :D

I just used 2 inches of pipe thread, 2 hex nuts, a female threaded t-piece and a hose barb. This way you can stick your sundial and sight-tube all in the one unit. Wasn't too hard to do.

Didn't bother using acrylic/polycarbonate tubing. Just a bit of 9mm racking hose seems to work cheaply and effectively. Just toss it away for a new one when it clouds up too much.

Warren -

DSC00120.JPG

Warren to the rescue again.

This looks the business and is probably a better idea then drilling seperate holes for sundial and sight glass..Nice idea.

Just one more thing :lol:

Where did you get the female T thingy from (Are they readily available) and was your sundial 1/2 inch NPT?

Cheers. :ph34r:

G'day Brizbrew,

I've got a very similar setup to Warren's (although with a 'normal' sized thermometer - no sundials here :lol: ) and also use a length of racking tube. Works like a champion and nice 'n easy :beerbang:

Shawn.

Brizbrew said:
Where did you get the female T thingy from (Are they readily available) and was your sundial 1/2 inch NPT?

Cheers. :ph34r:
[post="69945"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

Just got it from Bunnings... Bit of chromed-brass... Cost about 3 bucks. Yep 1/2 (13mm) inch NPT.

What Shawn is trying to tell you is. I basically stole his idea. :lol: :p

We Mexicans rustle more than cattle. :D

Warren -

What Shawn is trying to tell you is. I basically stole his idea. :lol: :p

We Mexicans rustle more than cattle.

I was too polite to let on... :p And I stole the idea from my HBS guy in the first place :lol:

Shawn.

It's called a "Chain-Theft" Brizbrew... Now you have to make somebody steal it from you, lest you bring yourself bad luck. :lol: :ph34r: :p

Warren -

I used polycarbonate

This one is fitted to my old kettle , I also have one fitted to my HLT.
I used s/steel compression fittings , easy azz

Batz

warrenlw63 said:
It's called a "Chain-Theft" Brizbrew... Now you have to make somebody steal it from you, lest you bring yourself bad luck. :lol: :ph34r: :p

Warren -
[post="69950"][/post]​
Consider the idea "Borrowed" I will crack on with this and when my sundials arrive I will just have to screw em in. :super:

I used one of these on my HLT:

ElbowBulkhead.jpg

I happened upon some PFE tubing and compression fittings which are da bomb for the kettle.
SightGlassPFE.jpg

Latest posts

Back