Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once you have the style organised you should set yourself the goal of brewing something BETTER than the commercial version.

All commercial beer is brewed to a price. Their main objective is to sell you alcohol so you can get drunk, but it has to be flavoured with malt and hops to be acceptable to both the customer and the politicians who would ban swilling of pure alcohol.

So brew yourself a clone by all means, then have a second and third go and improve it. Your taste buds will appreciate it.
Set you sights higher mate!

Brewed this today, all went well apart from not having enough ice so it cooled down slower than I would've liked post boil. Didn't smell as hoppy as I thought it would, with around 100g of hops I was expecting a bit more aroma. Maybe this will come after some sugars ferment out? I'm excited for this one, its my first extract.

Also, I ended up with an OG of 1.056, I just checked my recipe on Brewmate and it was meant to be 1.059

- 250g Crystal steeped for 30 mins at 68*c
- Grains removed, wort brought to boil
- Removed from heat and 3kg LDME added
- Brought back to boil for 60 minutes of hop additions
- Ice bath to 27*c (1/2 hour), add to fermentor and top up to 20L

OG: 1.056 @ 20*c

As i said, Brewmate predicted 1.059. Is this a large discrepancy and something went wrong or is everything ok?

calobes said:
Also, I ended up with an OG of 1.056, I just checked my recipe on Brewmate and it was meant to be 1.059

- 250g Crystal steeped for 30 mins at 68*c
- Grains removed, wort brought to boil
- Removed from heat and 3kg LDME added
- Brought back to boil for 60 minutes of hop additions
- Ice bath to 27*c (1/2 hour), add to fermentor and top up to 20L

OG: 1.056 @ 20*c

As i said, Brewmate predicted 1.059. Is this a large discrepancy and something went wrong or is everything ok?
Nah mate, 3 points is bugger all. Also if using us05 yeast it will devour it. I got 86% attenuation with it couple weeks ago, others have gotten 81-86 also, so might end up with a lower FG than the software predicted as it's prob set at 75% attenuation.

stewy said:
Nah mate, 3 points is bugger all. Also if using us05 yeast it will devour it. I got 86% attenuation with it couple weeks ago, others have gotten 81-86 also, so might end up with a lower FG than the software predicted as it's prob set at 75% attenuation.
thanks for the reply stewy.
I set the attenuation at 75% as I've read it is between about 73 - 77. In saying that I did read alot of people like yourself that get much higher.

I've been K&K for a while now, this is my first extract. The cold break scared the shit out of me till I looked it up lol

calobes said:
thanks for the reply stewy.
I set the attenuation at 75% as I've read it is between about 73 - 77. In saying that I did read alot of people like yourself that get much higher.

I've been K&K for a while now, this is my first extract. The cold break scared the shit out of me till I looked it up lol

If you're using extract with cara malts 70-75% is about right for US05 I reckon, it's about what I get when I throw it at a dextrinous wort, 80-83% if I've targeted fermentability when mashing.

Donske said:
If you're using extract with cara malts 70-75% is about right for US05 I reckon, it's about what I get when I throw it at a dextrinous wort, 80-83% if I've targeted fermentability when mashing.
Dextrinous wort means less fermentable sugars right?

The recipe I used was 3kg DME and 250g crystal so im guessing this is a pretty dextrinous wort?

Guys, I'm keen to give this a bash but I've never done an extract with just DME, I've Always had a can of LME or kit to go with 1-2kg of DME. Which is the better to use and why? Does the DME give you a better yield (more fermentable)?

RobboMC said:
All commercial beer is brewed to a price. Their main objective is to sell you alcohol so you can get drunk, but it has to be flavoured with malt and hops to be acceptable to both the customer and the politicians who would ban swilling of pure alcohol.
You're kidding, right?

SNPA was/is not brewed with the main objective to get you drunk. It was brewed to be an awesome beer, which it is.

No doubt they could have made it cheaper, no doubt they could have made it more expensive - not really the point.

recipe="clauddr" post="1213593" timestamp="1408691042"]Guys, I'm keen to give this a bash but I've never done an .xtract with just DME, I've Always had a can of LME or kit to go with 1-2kg of DME. Which is the better to use and why? Does the DME give you a better yield (more fermentable)?
If a recipe calls for 3kg DME you need more LME for the same recipe. I used DME on this brew as the recipe called for it. Its dead easy using DME over LME. Put this brew into the secondary a few days ago and it tastes awesome for flat warm beer. I'll let you know how it turns out in 2 weeks or so.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one rung above a lot of mainstream beers.

When I first sampled one I was blown away with its complex taste. At the moment its my favorite beer.

panzerd18 said:
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one rung above a lot of mainstream beers.

When I first sampled one I was blown away with its complex taste. At the moment its my favorite beer.
Personally, I'd put it a whole ladder ahead of a lot of mainstream beers, particularly when drinking it fresh, in tap, in the States.

I find the aroma to be beautiful.

Is that from Cascade hops?

Pilchard said:
I drink one of these once a week at work and not once have I thought to brew it, it seems to be a close proximity to their steam beer and has no nasal characteristics. To me there are better beers out there. It seems to have that same American hop schedule that is bitter and loosing the aroma hops. It's a staple in the resturant so I keep trying it to see if I can grow to like it. It just seems plain jane to me. No issues if you like it but there are a lot of better beers out there than that. NB we pay $90 a carton for it. Punters love it with our food. I'm just not converted. To me ita a blah beer, but then I'll drink their steam ale and get excited.
You're drinking it after shipping. I imagine fresh it's a different beast... the fresher ones I have had are definitely aromatic. I would bet my house it's dry hopped.

stakka82 said:
You're drinking it after shipping. I imagine fresh it's a different beast... the fresher ones I have had are definitely aromatic. I would bet my house it's dry hopped.
According to SN they don't dry hop their pale ale. But they would have to have really late hop additions to get the aroma???

calobes said:
According to SN they don't dry hop their pale ale. But they would have to have really late hop additions to get the aroma???
And they'd chill to lock in that aroma.

Latest posts

Back