Sierra Nevada@dan Murphys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll bite, care to share? And I don't think this is a wankfest, in fact it the argument could be made that those who find the beer "underwhelming" are indulging in a bit of pud-pulling.

OK. SNPA is the most middle of the road of the 2 I've tasted. Alpha or Nirvana taste as good good to me.
Torpedo on the other hand is a awesome beer. On the nose doesn't smell like a IPA, more like a ESB. Maybe that's what I like about it. Bling has the caramel backbone with a awesome late hop hit that the SN doesn't have. SN is about balance with it's bitter taste.

Had a win on the Gs today so swung past dan's at the Gabba and picked up a case of snpa. Was tempted to get a torpedo also, but got alot of ipa around at the moment, so maybe next time. Plenty of stock left when I was there this arvo.

:icon_offtopic: Not sure why a lot of folks think Alpha (Matilda Bay) is a good beer. Maybe I got a dud sixer but the ones I have tried seem to me to be out of balance for a Pale Ale and wayyyy too piney, aggresively so. For a PA, SNPA seems to me to be a good example of the style. If you want more then go an IPA of some sort? Keen to hear comments.

Exactly. There are Australian alternatives that can stand proudly alongside, even above, the SN wankfest.

I'm wanking big time and so much so my palms are hairy. Picked up a carton of Torpedo at www.warnersatthebay.com today (as well as a growler of BrewDog Pink IPA). Torpedo is no where near my fave IPA (Blind Pig) but it does give show me that we are viewed as a beer drinking market that can attract attention. I'll continue to buy this type of beer as long as it is available, who knows where this will lead, Dogfish head, Russian River or even greater availability of Fosters...

Alpha is another beer I love (when I can get it).

daniel

For anyone who is interested, just picked up a 6 pack of SNPA and Torpedo IPA at Dan Murphys at Watergardens Taylors Lakes Vic. Plenty of each, and they had the Kellerweis there to

I'd say Alpha is more a IPA than a PA.

Just having a Torpedo, it's nice but definately the best I've had.

For a well balanced IPA check out the Murrays Icon2, plenty of malt with the hops.

I picked up a sixer of the Torpedo from the Dan Murphy's in Springwood. For the Brisbane southsiders...

If you're heading to Dans there is a stock availability tool on their website.

Look up the product, click Find In Store and enter your postcode. Gives a table of the closest DM stores and their current stock levels. :icon_cheers:

grabbed a 6 of torpedo from Gabba dans

none COLD but .... all on display "hot"....

pretty nice beer :)

Pick up SNPA and Torpedo today at Munno Dans SNPA was oxidised to buggery very hard to drink (but then again nearly every import I have gotten from Dans in SA in the last six month have signs of abuse) Torpedo was nice, slightly oxidised tastes more like an APA then an AIPA to me. Well I've tried them now, would happily drink a torpedo every now and again

Don't care what anyone else says, I'm going to buy some more SNPA today (Dans at Woden/Phillip Canberra). Until they run out this'll be my main beer purchase...bought this all the time last year while touring around the States, esp at Servos for around $8.99 or so. Absolutely love this beer and have no idea what has happenned to the taste buds of numerous people on this forum (and another one) who seem to suddenly view this beer as 'ordinary' and 'underwhelming.'

Absolutely love this beer and have no idea what has happenned to the taste buds of numerous people on this forum (and another one) who seem to suddenly view this beer as 'ordinary' and 'underwhelming.'

It occurs in every craft.

Had a fairly quiet weekend. Didn't drink last night so gonna pick up a 6 pack of this and watch the footy. That golf conjured up a bit of a thirst!

Speaking of golf clubs, I'd love to see a golf club that has anything other than Tooheys, Carlton, XXXX etc. The local has Coopers Pale on tap and I drink it, but trying to get the Hahn Super Dry to give it the nod hasn't proved fruitful! The usual comment after tasting is, "mmmm it tastes a bit different, doesn't it?" If they weren't good friends and weren't so deprived in quality beer I would go to town on them about beer shouldn't taste like bland coloured water....

I'm lucky in a way that my local golf club has JSGA on tap. I know that a lot of people think its gone down hill recently but its still head and shoulders over xxxx gold and the other normal alternatives at the golf club bar.

bah

I found this beer to be both over and underwhelming, overwhelming at the checkout and underwhelming in the glass. I do think that both styles (the pale and the torpedo) were nice examples of the style, but the hype lead me to believe it would be so much more. The Torpedo is the better of the two IMO, nicely balanced and hides the ABV well. But, as others have said, many Aussie examples could stand proudly beside them. The labels are pretty though.

One thing that saddens me is to read of the efforts gone to by the company to get the beer here in good condition, yet its stored warm at Dan's. WTF? When I asked if there was any cold the reply was 'Just the bottles for tastings'. I wonder if many of the better beers I've splurged on and tried (Hobgoblin, Chimay, Leffe etc) could have been even better if it wasn't for their handling. To further reinforce this, I visit a tiny bottlo owned/managed(?) by a beer judge, and the product there is much better than when purchased from the big guys (fell in love with S&W Pacific there, found it to be shite from Dan's)

On another note had Fat Yak on tap at the Espy the other night, couldn't believe the difference in the hop flavour compared to the last stubby I had. (thats just in reference to the comments regarding shitty tap selections above)

Peace out :icon_cheers:

Picked up a sixer of SNPA and Torpedo last night. Both best before May 2012 so no issues with age.
The SNPA was almost as good as I remember it in the states. Having never had Torpedo before, I quite liked it, plenty of hop flavour and aroma going on and a nice balanced bitterness.

One thing that saddens me is to read of the efforts gone to by the company to get the beer here in good condition, yet its stored warm at Dan's. WTF? When I asked if there was any cold the reply was 'Just the bottles for tastings'. I wonder if many of the better beers I've splurged on and tried (Hobgoblin, Chimay, Leffe etc) could have been even better if it wasn't for their handling. To further reinforce this, I visit a tiny bottlo owned/managed(?) by a beer judge, and the product there is much better than when purchased from the big guys (fell in love with S&W Pacific there, found it to be shite from Dan's)

I was thinking the same when a six pack was fetched for me from out the back - hadn't made it onto the shelves.

To my pleasant surprise, the six pack was cold - a great sign for how this is beig handled here(at my local at least) and thought it may be a stipulation of distribution??? I'm pretty sure refrigeration was a reason Stone doesn't send beers here.

Anyways, loved the Torpedo, had the PA a while back when it was likely a grey import (before I knew what a grey import was) and found it good, but with too much caramel for my liking. Prefer a LCPA anytime.

Regardless of the hype v reality - I'm really glad these beers are available here and that people are snapping them up, hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Cheers

Kev

Beers are not required to be stored cold by Sierra Nevada, but the beer savvy stores are storing the majority of stock cold, since it made the trip over here that way.

And you are indeed correct with Stone. They require their beers to be refrigerated at all times. The Stone beers that came over through the Monk for their US Craft Beer Week were refrigerated here, and kept in refrigeration at one of the liquor stores they ended up at.

If you cant acknowledge that these are great beers, you probably are under the impression that a great PA or IPA should be a mouthful of passionfruit and citrusy hop flavour. It doesn't take a genius to dump a bucket of galaxy at flameout, but it does take some craft to balance a beer and make it drinkable.

Latest posts

Back