Sierra Nevada@dan Murphys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tasted my first SNPA.

It's a very nice beer, but to me it in some ways seems overhyped.
The colour is not as dark as I had imagined it to be.
The aroma was lacking much in the way of obvious US hop character, certainly a lot less than my own APA brews, or our local Wicked Elf American Pale Ale.
Very clean malt character, but with less body than my own APAs of a similar ABV. Again, I expected more hop character in its flavour than I could perceive.
Nice bitterness and clean finish.

Maybe I'm a little harsh, but when you've been spoiled with your own brews, I think I'm entitled to expect a really exciting brew after all the hype I've read over the years. Having said that, I still think it's way ahead of the usual Aus megabrews, I dispair at the choice at my golf club, out of 8 taps, the only drinkable brew is Tooheys Old.
I'd happily drink SNPA any time it's offered to me, but I think there are better brews.

By the way, the SNPA was my first brew for the day, so my palate was fresh.

IMG_0958.jpg

+1 for your review.....I couldn't have written it any better.....SNPA virgin too....agree was a nice drop, but would prefer my APA's instead.

I heard it described in the Little Creatures vain, but I'd take LCPA any day, or Alpha Pale Ale. Maybe it's lost a bit in transit.

Anyway, about to try the IPA now

Lived in the states for a few years a while ago and used to drink this a fair bit.

Picked up a 6 pack today, first time I've bought it in OZ....

Tastes nothing like I remember, seems like the hops missed the plane.

Still...better than a punch in the face

Wicked elf anyday, love it

+1 for your review.....I couldn't have written it any better.....SNPA virgin too....agree was a nice drop, but would prefer my APA's instead.

I heard it described in the Little Creatures vain, but I'd take LCPA any day, or Alpha Pale Ale. Maybe it's lost a bit in transit.

Anyway, about to try the IPA now
I don't think the transit has done it any harm, tastes the same as it did in the US IIRC. I love US style pale ales and this is without doubt one of the best, as are the other 2 beers you mention. I'd say SNPA is probably hoppier than LCPA, closer to Alpha. And it's actually cheaper than Alpha.

I don't think the transit has done it any harm, tastes the same as it did in the US IIRC. I love US style pale ales and this is without doubt one of the best, as are the other 2 beers you mention. I'd say SNPA is probably hoppier than LCPA, closer to Alpha. And it's actually cheaper than Alpha.
I know.... Alpha would have to be my favourite....although I haven't tried Wicked Elf yet.

Why is it I always have to have expensive taste...Life would be so much cheaper as a Megaswiller!

Just popped down to dans @ Alexandria. I was informed they had soldout of the pale ale. Which worried me none because I wanted to try the torpedo. Grabbed a six, tasty, some what inspirational. I reckon it will help shape what I am brewing. I think after one I still prefer in terms of commercials the punk ipa. However sn still has five opportunities in the fridge to change my mind..... :icon_cheers:

Think I might have snapped up the last 6er of Torpedo at Dans Alexandria. Apologies and commiserations to anyone I have deprived.
I shall have a beer in your honour :icon_drunk:

Bloody hard to walk out with just 6 beers though. Grabbed a Landlord, Coopers Vintage and a few others too.

Here is that clone recipe CDBROWN,

Sierra Navada: Torpedo IPA - 19L Batch

OG1070 - FG1018
IBU: 70
SRM: 11
ABV: 7.2%

6.40kg Pale Malt
0.31kg Caramal Malt (60L)

34g Magnum Hops (60 mins)
28g Magnum Hops (5 mins)
28g Crystal Hops (5 mins)
19g Magnum Hops (Dry Hop)
19g Crystal Hops (Dry Hop)
19g Citra Hops (Dry Hop)

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 67' for 60 mins - Boil 90 mins
Ferment at 20' - Dry hop for 10 Days to 2 weeks or use a torpedo to add hop character

Just tasted my first SNPA.

The colour is not as dark as I had imagined it to be.
The aroma was lacking much in the way of obvious US hop character, certainly a lot less than my own APA brews, or our local Wicked Elf American Pale Ale.
Very clean malt character, but with less body than my own APAs of a similar ABV. Again, I expected more hop character in its flavour than I could perceive.
Nice bitterness and clean finish.

Maybe I'm a little harsh, but when you've been spoiled with your own brews, I think I'm entitled to expect a really exciting brew after all the hype I've read over the years. Having said that, I still think it's way ahead of the usual Aus megabrews, I dispair at the choice at my golf club, out of 8 taps, the only drinkable brew is Tooheys Old.
I'd happily drink SNPA any time it's offered to me, but I think there are better brews.

By the way, the SNPA was my first brew for the day, so my palate was fresh.

IMG_0958.jpg

+2, as a SNPA virgin totally agree and expected something else,
just picked up last 6 packs of the PA and Torpedo at Strathfield, which IMO is awesome, (Torpedo that is, Strathfield-Meh), fantasic malt profile, doesnt feel like 7.2%,................ hang on, yes it does

Just drinking a Torpedo. I feel that it is a nicely balanced beer. It doesn't have a 'punch in ya face' hop flavor...but thats why its balanced ;)

Son just arrived, bought Torpedo from the Kawana Dans store. Drinking it as I type, typical SN beer beautifully balanced with the smoothest mouthfeel.

Working tomorrow and Sunday track driving so just the one tonight, lookout Sunday night :lol:

Screwy

Son just arrived, bought Torpedo from the Kawana Dans store. Drinking it as I type, typical SN beer beautifully balanced with the smoothest mouthfeel.

Working tomorrow and Sunday track driving so just the one tonight, lookout Sunday night :lol:

Screwy

Oooooh, you cheeky little rule breaker!

oh i got me some , woo hoo

SNPA - Beutifully balanced beer, was expecting more aroma but could of been lost in transit, for me this beer is all about balance, i think with APA's we brewers sometimes get caught up in massive amounts of hops and IBU's that boil the tastebuds off your tongue. This beer is magnificent.

Torpedo - Liked this too , once again think the aroma's a little shy but big hop flavour and nice chewy bitterness.

Enjoy your naughty sunday beers Screwy, your clone of SNPA was my OMG brewing moment mate Raisin a glass to you. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers

By the way Geelong Dans has heaps go get some

NOW

Oooooh, you cheeky little rule breaker!

Always livin on the edge mate :lol:

oh i got me some , woo hoo

SNPA - Beutifully balanced beer, was expecting more aroma but could of been lost in transit, for me this beer is all about balance, i think with APA's we brewers sometimes get caught up in massive amounts of hops and IBU's that boil the tastebuds off your tongue. This beer is magnificent.

Torpedo - Liked this too , once again think the aroma's a little shy but big hop flavour and nice chewy bitterness.

Enjoy your naughty sunday beers Screwy, your clone of SNPA was my OMG brewing moment mate Raisin a glass to you. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers

By the way Geelong Dans has heaps go get some

NOW

Cheers Brett, them was the days eh!!!!! Will drink to your good self Sunday :beer:

Screwy

Exactly. There are Australian alternatives that can stand proudly alongside, even above, the SN wankfest.

Exactly. There are Australian alternatives that can stand proudly alongside, even above, the SN wankfest.
OK, I'll bite, care to share? And I don't think this is a wankfest, in fact it the argument could be made that those who find the beer "underwhelming" are indulging in a bit of pud-pulling.

Picked up a 6 pack of Pale and Torpedo last night from Dan's up the road. Man, good value! I'll grab the Hefe next time around. I think having 4 Pales and 3 Torpedo's helped me loose at Poker all night long ^_^

just a heads up, read the alcohol content before knocking back a few torpedoes before you head out in the afternoon. WeeeEEeeeEEEee

Picked up all three on my way into work today. Just a single of each for 'research'...

Get to work, beers in my backpack. Leap the 1m fence to get into the office.... Pssssht... Open bag to see half the torpedo all over my jacket... ****! So i had to finish the other half... Not a bad ipa... But by no means the best ive had. Looking forward to the hefe and snpa in about 8 hours

Picked up a 6 pack of SNPA & Torpedo at DM North Lakes for all the Brisbane-ites.

Picked up a 6 pack of SNPA & Torpedo at DM Noosa for all the Sunny Coasters

Latest posts

Back