Sierra Navada Here We Come

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
The time is nearly upon us, Liam (the Scientist) and I are off to California to particpate in Beer Camp #90 at Sierra Navada. We are leaving saturday morning and grabbing a hire car at LA and heading down towards San Diego for a couple of days of visiting breweries like;
Lost Abbey
Stone
Ballast Point
AleSmith
Green Flash
Karl Strauss
Pizza Port
Then flying to Sacremento and checking out a couple more breweries before catching the bus to Chico for the Beer Camp (where I get to celebrate my 49th birthday woohoo) After the beer camp we are flying down to San Fransico to check out;
Lauginitus
Russian River
Bear Republic
21st Amendment
Anchor
Triple Rock
and we are going to try and make it to some venues featured in Man vs Food.
Philippe's The Original
The signature French dipped sandwich, which Philippe's is said to have created during a very happy culinary accident.
Phil's BBQ
Dinosaur Sized Ribs, mesquite-grilled to a smoky perfection and slathered in their secret BBQ sauce.
Parker's Hot Dogs
Knucklehead Challenge: five 10-in. hot dogs shoved into one foot-long bun topped with 3-lbs. of homemade chili, cheese, onions, tomatoes and pickles with 1 lb. of fries on the side.
Jim Denny's Hamburger & Chili
Legendary pancakes, four 13-inch mouthwatering pancakes, topped with a mound of delectable toppings then smothered in fresh maple syrup.
Ike's Place
Home to some of the biggest sandwiches in San Francisco.

I reckon we are going to need a week to recover after this and I have to give a big thanks to Brisbane Amatuer Beer Brewers as this trip was my prize for winning their annual Championship last year and to Ross for passing his ticket to the camp on to Liam (who won the state championship) when he had to decline due to work commitments. Hopefully we will be able to post some progress pics while we are over there.

cheers

Browndog

Thanks for sharing! <_<

All the best BD, I am sure it will be amazing.

Keep us posted during the trip! :beerbang:

:icon_cheers:

My cholesterol went up just reading that.
Luckily all that fine beer will thin your blood, so blocked arteries won't matter.
So jelly.
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.
Enjoy!

well done Browndog enjoy mate couldn't think of a better way to enjoy your birthday

Franko

Also while in San Diego go to In and Out Burger sensational

Make sure you take out the top health insurance. you will need it!

Soooo jealous!

Only one problem.....

Your 50th will probably be a bit of a let down by comparison.

Enjoy Cheers.

Nice.

We seriously need that 'Travel Beers" thread I suggested a while back. Not just a whats in the glass commercial or a single "Freds holiday piss up" thread.
BD - maybe you can go first?

Enjoy that holiday, sounds like it will be epic.

You guys are going to have a blast.

Try out some cheeses too. Even the supermarkets can have some interesting stuff. I'm partial to the spicy cheeses. Pepperjacks with green chilli. Keep your eye out for a wholefoods.

Stay away from the bacon. I big disappointment compared to Aussie bacon.

Was kinda hoping you would be going to GABF as we will be in the Denver area this weekend.

Will you be posting your tasting notes up for us? :)

My cholesterol went up just reading that.
Luckily all that fine beer will thin your blood, so blocked arteries won't matter.
So jelly.
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.
Enjoy!

Yesterday I went to the chemist and got a new pack of my cholesterol pills do I can double the dose while I'm over there! A work mate was sayin to me the other day "when you are in San Fransico you have to go and see the blah blah blah whatever" I said Mal, if I can see it from the window of a pub, then I won't be seeing it mate ;)

You guys are going to have a blast.

Try out some cheeses too. Even the supermarkets can have some interesting stuff. I'm partial to the spicy cheeses. Pepperjacks with green chilli. Keep your eye out for a wholefoods.

Stay away from the bacon. I big disappointment compared to Aussie bacon.

Was kinda hoping you would be going to GABF as we will be in the Denver area this weekend.

Will you be posting your tasting notes up for us? :)

We tried to get tickets for the GABF Matt, but to no avail. We have a massive beer list to get through and will do out best to get some info posted.

Dirty Rotten....Lucky Barstewards!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!

Screwy

We tried to get tickets for the GABF Matt, but to no avail. We have a massive beer list to get through and will do out best to get some info posted.

I was talking to a couple at one of our local breweries the other night. They showed up to go to GABF last year. Didn't know they had to have tickets.

Out the front there were a bunch of scalpers. But one of the vendors noticed them contemplating what to do and offered them some tickets for free.

I hear it's pretty easy to get tickets out there.

But I think your cali trip sounds better anyway. GABF can be a bit rowdy.

"We have a massive beer list to get through", mate you make it sound like a chore :)

So are you aiming to break Ross and Dave's record from their New York trip?

I think it was a billion beers in 12 days. Jeez my liver struggled when they stayed with me, and I was working during the days so wasn't even on par with them.

Tony - just looking at beer camp on their website (never heard of it). Did you guys submit a video to go to this - if so, which is yours?

Tony - just looking at beer camp on their website (never heard of it). Did you guys submit a video to go to this - if so, which is yours?

Logman - I negotiated the trip for our club winner whilst I was Brewmaster at BABBS. I also got a personal invite to join Tony, but unfortunately work commitments meant I could only have gone for a few days which is far too short with all the other things to enjoy & experience while over there. Therefore I passed my invite across to Liam (our state champion last year) so Tony had someone to make it the trip of a lifetime with... Feeling very envious, but very pleased for them...

Cheers Ross

Tony, for the sake of mankind, check out Luche Libre 'Surfin Cali Burito.

It was also on man v food, and frigging changed my life... swear to god.

;)
Enjoy matey!

Tony, I just got a message from Liam.

He says he is too sick to travel, and to pass on his tickets to me.

I will have cancel a few things but I will ok just to meet you at the airport.

This is going to ba an awesome trip bro!

I negotiated the trip for our club winner whilst I was Brewmaster at BABBS.
Ah I see, some of those videos are pretty funny.

Looks like a great trip, you're a good sport Ross :D . Well I guess you know it's gone to someone that will get the most out of it.

Back