sick of being marketed at like a cash cow.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
i know from last time, i brought this up im not alone.
is any one else sick of some members coming in and only putting up post that are marketing their courses and not contributing anything to the community.
we are told that he’s a great source of knowledge, well how about putting some info up on here then or joining in on some of the conversations rather than coming in and pushing an expensive course in one post and leaving. i mean 600 bucks to learn how to all grain brew. hell i learned from other members on here and have been more than happy to share my knowledge.
whats others opinion on this.

You should just read the posts that follow his other "adverts"...........That will give you your answer.

i know im just trying to put it right in the spot light and see if we can all come to a decision.
i was the comment that started it all last time. im not trying to hijack his thread so i started my own.

Just putting in my two bob because I've defended nameless milker a few times.

I agree that it would be nice if he were to help out in threads but I can see why he doesn't - I've never come home from work and then given my market my product for free. It doesn't really make much sense from his end.

I'm afraid this might read a little patronising but I assure I don't intend it that way but I am very glad to see you've started this discussion in a more appropriate place this time. He does post within the rules and with respect for board users and I'm not sure retail threads are the place to be slagging a bloke off (unless we've actually used said products).

On a somewhat related note - anyone seen that newish online-LHBS operator posting links to his products as answers to threads? I don't care if it is on topic - that is dirty.

Why is there a decision to make. Some of us dont like it and some of us think that its ok for him to post his courses in the appropriate section and hes not breaking any rules so good luck to him. He might get more people interested if he did bother to become more actively involved in the forum but thats his business I guess and his problem.

I agree with you but thats just my opinion. each to his own I guess.

Come on, Barls, he's not a chugger. It's not like he's jumping in front of you as you're walking down the street, trying to shake your hand, and ask for a minute of your time...

I have no interest in his course either, but only wish all the best to him & anyone who takes his courses.

$600 course..all you walk out with is the knowledge and some "freebies".least most of our retailers/sponsors particpate in the forum and give info and help fellow brewers.

Barls, I think you should just learn to ignore his posts and get on with it. There are many other forum rules here that I don't like either.

The thread doesn't interest you, move on to the next. It's not that he starts 5 in a day, it's only one every few weeks or month or so.

I totally agree that it would be nice to benefit from his knowledge, but if that's not what he wants to do then so be it. Might be a good decision or a bad decision for him marketing wise, but it is his decision.

Florian said:
Barls, I think you should just learn to ignore his posts and get on with it.

I think that is the answer. Not interested don't click.

What gets up my nose is the free advertising when we have sponsers paying for their advertising. Most other retailers are at least Pro Members so they do at least contribute to the site.

I don't see what the big deal is, he posts in the appropriate forum as per the forum rules. There are plenty of other posts on this website that I don't give a crap about either, I simply don't read them. This website has a retail section specifically for this sort of thing, it makes no sense to me why people get shitty everytime someone posts something commercial in there for free. I'm sure the other retailers get good value out of the retail forum so I think we all need to relax. Just because something is advertised does not automatically mean you need to buy it.

I would say that this thread is as big a waste of space as the retial thread mentioned by the OP.

Batz said:

What gets up my nose is the free advertising when we have sponsers paying for their advertising. Most other retailers are at least Pro Members so they do at least contribute to the site.
Maybe that's the answer, make posting in the retail section open to only Pro members. Non Pro members could view and always PM a retailer if they have a question about a product. That way all advertisers would be contributing soemthing to the site. Obviously if people wanted to get around this by advertising in other sections, they would be promptly dealt with by the mods.

Batz said:

dont click now anyway. just sick of seeing the topics all together while he contributes nothing.
also i was thinking that most of the sponsors are pro members, why not give them a bit more of a preference.
im sure if the management put it to him that it was preferred that he became a pro member since he chooses to not contribute in any other way, he may as well contribute to the upkeep of the forum as a benefit of his free marketing he has been getting.

bum. i agree with hiding links to your products in your own posts, unless its a post to advertise you are having a special on that item and its a new thread. that is low, if the product is good you dont really need to push it that hard.

It gets up my nose too especially when you have other retailers who pay for advertising and also contribute in other ways. For example. Ross from CraftBrewer contributes much knowledge and expertise to the forum and never pushes his products in your face.

Thing is, this Vince bloke is not breaking any rules and we don't set the rules. Until such time as Dane deems it to be an issue, it's really nothing to do with us so we just have to suck it up.

I personally wouldn't pay for one of his courses anyway so I just ignore it.

There's a bit of difference in what each retailer supplies though.
Ross sells physical products so by giving advice over the forum is beneficial for him to be involved in.
Vince is supplying information in return for your hard earned money so by giving advice and info over the forum for free, he'd be shooting himself in the foot.

If he's posting in the correct thread and following all the rules, there should be no issue.
He's only offering a service that may be of benefit to some people. Freedom of choice.

Only my opinion...

I have no problem with Vince or the like posting info on a course, easy to ignore if you don't want to know & will quickly drop off the radar if not responded to.
What does piss me off though (& it's sort of on topic) is retailers (as mentioned in earlier comments), posting links to their products in non-retail threads.
Retailers are not supposed to do this & it's against forum rules. The guys doing it, should know better!!! Threads could very easily become retail shit fights if we all started posting to threads saying buy from us, we are better/cheaper etc....

Cheers Ross

i will admit though its been asked before a few times yet not one peson has come back and given us feedback on what his courses are actually like, value for money etc. No that Im interested, Ive learnt more here, but still would be nice to know if they are any good to reccomend to new Hbers with LOTS of spare money.

That is complete bullshit, Truman.

I'm not sick of it.

I for one hope he posts more courses so it pisses you lot off even more.

AND bump the course costs to eleventy million rubles so you have to first convert your cash.

bum said:
That is complete bullshit, Truman.
Whats complete bullshit Bum?

That no one has posted feedback on his courses?? If so then I must have missed the post/s as I have never seen any feedback.

That im not interested because Ive learnt more here? Maybe, maybe not, I dont know because I dont know what his courses are like. Thats why I would like to read some feedback. But I have learnt a lot here, enough to brew some great beers.

Or did you mean recommending his courses to some new brewers with lots of spare cash?? Well if his courses are good I would recommend them, but they are expensive. I certainly couldnt justify spending $600 on a brew course unless I wanted to make it my career choice.

Please elaborate on what part of my post was COMPLETE BULLSHIT????

Truman said:
Whats complete bullshit Bum?

That no one has posted feedback on his courses?? If so then I must have missed the post/s as I have never seen any feedback.
Yes, you have missed them because what you did was ask for the information then wait for it to come rolling in (the same as every other question that crosses your mind).

The Milk Man managed to find some - if you'd bothered to click the links he provides in every post you'd see two pages of testimonials, many of which are taken directly from AHB, others have names associated that you should recognise if you've been paying attention.

I also recall at least one instance of a successful commercial brewer here giving fairly high praise of the course he attended.

Back