Show Us Your Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
well today i went and checked my belgian dark strong that is in the fermenter, well i was confronted with a blocked airlock and yeast all over the top of the fermenter so after a clean up i took a few photos.

SANY1476.JPG

SANY1477.JPG

SANY1478.JPG

there is only 20l in a 30l fermenter and i thought i would be right but it was not to be. The yeast is wyeast 3522 and i did pitch about 350 billion cells.
its been about 4 days and its gone from 1.085 to 1.045 already

cheers matho

here you go phoneyhuh

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: belgain dark strong keg
Brewer: steve
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 19.50 L
Boil Size: 26.25 L
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 35.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.12 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 54.79 %
3.30 kg Munich Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 43.88 %
0.10 kg Special B Malt (320.0 EBC) Grain 1.33 %
40.00 gm Spalter [3.60 %] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
17.00 gm Spalter [3.60 %] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.52 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 19.61 L of water at 76.4 C 68.0 C

i also added 500ml of homemade dark candi syrup

newguy that looks awsome

What is it that creates a krausen this big!? Particular yeasts, more fermentables, temperature - a combinations of all of those?

The biggest I've every had is mayby 6-7 cms.

What is it that creates a krausen this big!? Particular yeasts, more fermentables, temperature - a combinations of all of those?

The biggest I've every had is mayby 6-7 cms.

All of the above + others. Cell count can be a major factor.

Have a toucan dark ale/stout going that has about 20cm krausen after 12 hours, probably due to being fermented at 25 celcius. Cant be helped, was going to let it age anyway. Will get some piccies tomorrow.

The fermenter is full of kraeusen, and it's overflowing the blowoff bottle and onto the garage floor.

I didn't enjoy the clean-up, but the beer, a dunkelweizen, was good.

IMG_0233-1.jpg

I though that was a starter stashed away behind the brew at first but thats the blowoff... Hate cleaning too...

that looks cool d.j and warra's is just down right crazy

cheers

What my krausens typically look like. However, given the relative fill levels, I'd say your Belgian dark strong is way more lively than my typical brews. ;)

Insane. So by typically, is that with only one recipe, or all the beers you do ? I have taken to pitching huge volumes of yeast in the last six beers, but don't get anything like your photo. Or even DJ's. Wow, amazed that the o-ring blew right off.

I ruined a dark strong this way. Pitched the yeast from a 10l starter into the brew and got a flood of yeasty goop flowing out of the ferm fridge onto the laundry floor.
Needless to say the housemates (non beer drinking girls) were not pleased. I had to take it out and put it in the laundry sink to prevent further catastrophe and it was a hot day. The brew got close to 30c... Tastes like someone added metho to it now. So disappointed.

Unfortunatly my ferm fridge only just fits the fermenter with gladwrap on top so no room for a blowoff tube. Gotta get a bigger fridge...

I've got no access to a camera for pics, but DJ's awesome pic is exactly what my last two brews have looked like at day 3 using wy1469.

IMG_1023.jpg
I'm glad this one in my 60L fermenter has finally calmed down. I was a bit worried for a while.

Insane. So by typically, is that with only one recipe, or all the beers you do ? I have taken to pitching huge volumes of yeast in the last six beers, but don't get anything like your photo. Or even DJ's. Wow, amazed that the o-ring blew right off.

All my ales look that way. Lagers only get maybe 5-6cm of krausen because of the lower temperature. I build up a 2l starter from one smack pack on a stir plate and I also oxygenate the starter. When I pitch the starter, each carboy gets 60 seconds of oxygen again. Just about every yeast strain from wyeast will act like the one in the picture.

All my ales look that way. Lagers only get maybe 5-6cm of krausen because of the lower temperature. I build up a 2l starter from one smack pack on a stir plate and I also oxygenate the starter. When I pitch the starter, each carboy gets 60 seconds of oxygen again. Just about every yeast strain from wyeast will act like the one in the picture.

Ah Ok. I have been a Whitelabs man to date, and thought many of the strains are shared.

I've posted this before in the hopburst thread, but here's a top down shot of a krausen full of hop flowers
IMG_30021.jpg

I've posted this before in the hopburst thread, but here's a top down shot of a krausen full of hop flowers

Yeah yeah what ever. If you want to photograph a pizza and call it krausen with hops, that's your business. :p ;)

Back