Show us your grain mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkuna

Reaction score
SHOW ME YOUR GRAIN MILL
Looking at some great ideas of mounting a grain mill. I got one for Xmas with a board. I was thinking of keeping it simple. Mill / Board /Bucket / Handle or motor / Drill drive
So guys show me what's the best setup. Remember I want to keep it simple Maybe I could just rest the mill on top of the bucket and crank away
any pictures would be appreciated

Here's mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rl-la1_6bo

Here's mine made from the common Malt Muncher found on eBay and from various suppliers -

med_gallery_31264_1258_3037754.jpg
med_gallery_31264_1258_1755884.jpg
med_gallery_31264_1258_1961511.jpg

Uses a used grain bag to catch the grain, I've been really happy with it and it takes up little space.
Thread on the build here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/83647-malt-muncher-brew-stand/

TheWiggman said:
Here's mine made from the common Malt Muncher found on eBay and from various suppliers -

med_gallery_31264_1258_3037754.jpg
med_gallery_31264_1258_1755884.jpg
med_gallery_31264_1258_1961511.jpg

Uses a used grain bag to catch the grain, I've been really happy with it and it takes up little space.
Thread on the build here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/83647-malt-muncher-brew-stand/
Nice! But hand cranked? Damn, you're keen! I use a cordless drill, makes very quick work of it.

Mines here. Mash master with a big w stockpot catcher. Super happy with the whole set up. I just run it with my cordless drill.

I used Bridges idea for the hopper. It hold about 4kg of grain. Works great. Comes appart easily if needed. I havnt had a stone in the mill yet but i reckon having to empty a huge hopper could get messy.

Massive overkill but sits nicely over the mash basket and takes about 20 mins to mill 9kg grain. Gives me time to do other stuff instead of manning a drill.

<iframe width="480" height="270" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
moonhead said:
Nice! But hand cranked? Damn, you're keen! I use a cordless drill, makes very quick work of it.
I'm more impressed by your bench tops and tool organisation.

Very interesting setups It has given me plenty of options to think about. Could I just rest the mill board onto a bucket and mill away with the handle or do I need to clamp it down onto something solid??

This pic is from a while ago and i have upgraded to a MD motor. The frame etc is on scales. I pour base malts straight in the hopper which can hold pretty much a full bag.

1483136151860.jpg

koolkuna said:
Very interesting setups It has given me plenty of options to think about. Could I just rest the mill board onto a bucket and mill away with the handle or do I need to clamp it down onto something solid??
I use a drill but I just sit mine on top of a 20litre bucket. Sits there alright I find.

Interesting how many using cordless drills.. what speed you running at? Id be be worried they would need too higher a speed which would be shredding the husk and creating too much flour. Im running a high torque drill and keep it as slow as possible. Not worried about grind time as i leave it running while doing other prep, pref grind quality over grind speed

Yeah I was also thinking about the bearings on your mill over heating or wearing out. Is there a reason why it comes with a handle??

My 'custom' set up, although I've replaced the motor to one that runs half the speed now. Munches through 5kg in a few minutes...

1483247012394.jpg

Latest posts

Back