Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some awesome brew rigs you guys have.

Heres my latest upgrade, a new keg mash tun and some new plumbing so I can switch between filling the MLT from the HLT and recirculating through the herms. Looking forward to trying it out.

brewrig.jpg

Heres my latest upgrade, a new keg mash tun and some new plumbing so I can switch between filling the MLT from the HLT and recirculating through the herms. Looking forward to trying it out.

View attachment 59005
Where is the pump located, you would want it installed in the hose coming from the bottom of the mash tun, so it can then pump the wort through the herms and back into the top of your mash tun.

View attachment 59005

Looks the goods! Similar to plumbing arrangements here. After working long shifts (sometimes 16 days straight) have had some time off. Great to be back into brewing again.

Cheers,

Screwy

Where is the pump located, you would want it installed in the hose coming from the bottom of the mash tun, so it can then pump the wort through the herms and back into the top of your mash tun.

The pump is at the bottom as shown in the pic below. The wort gravity feeds down through the herms coil and back up to the pump so it self primes. I ran it this way with my other esky mashtun and it worked well. I've also got the pump body at the top so it keeps as much wort out of the pumps housing as possible as I had previous problems with wort sticking the spline bush thingy.

@Screwtop.... Yeh I know the feeling mate. I moved house so had to pack up the brew rig and havent been able to brew for a few months now. It sucks having to buy over priced craft beer. :D

Looks the goods! Similar to plumbing arrangements here
Where do you think I got the ideas from... ;)
brewrig1.jpg

Finally got round to finishing the HLT last week and the Kettle today.

Will insulate the Mash/Lauter Tun this weekend and will finish it next week so long as i can get it blasted.

I have had them glass bead blasted to give a matt finish cause i couldnt work up the energy to polish them.

kettle1.jpghlt.jpg

Ok im finally finished tinkering with my brewery for now :p Has been a progression from BIAB -> HERMS -> RIMS i am happy with this setup, No close up on the welds on the stand as i did that myself. Control box runs on a 10A circuit (im pretty sure i draw a small amount more with the pumps) but the HEX controlled by auberins PID will always get priority and the HLT will only go on if the hex is off. Setup on a timer so strike and hlt are ready for brew days.

Full setup here
20121117_101046.jpg

MT during sparge, no idea if i am doing it "right" but it works for me
20121117_101109.jpg

first runnings of Kolsch the other weekend
20121117_100809.jpg

Finally got round to finishing the HLT last week and the Kettle today.

Will insulate the Mash/Lauter Tun this weekend and will finish it next week so long as i can get it blasted.

I have had them glass bead blasted to give a matt finish cause i couldnt work up the energy to polish them.

View attachment 59046View attachment 59045

Should be big enough for a few cubes :lol:

View attachment 59005

Sh1t Truman you have moved on somewhat from struggling with a 18L urn.

Looks good.

Cheers,
D80

First run on the new rig yesterday... I had to clean everything first, did a wet run and figured it'd be a waste if I didnt throw some grain in it

1.JPG

Pleased with how accessible everything is now

3.JPG

discovered underleting rocks

2.JPG

Just needs a few trimmings and a bit of paint but overall very happy and a significant upgrade to how I was using the equipment previously.

Well Mash Tuns insulated just got to try and squeeze some time this week to fit the outlet, close off the bottom, put some legs on and bead blast it. Mash plates already done thanks to a sheet of unwanted perf that was about to be scraped.

MT_insulated.jpg

whats the foamy stuff?

Its expanding foam comes in an aerosol can from bunnings 750ml for $11 and triples in vol once out of the can i used to use a similar product in NZ was available as a two pot mixture in 5 litre cans but was always easier and cheaper to use these cans for small vessels

Man I love this stuff that Punkin sells! If I was making a complete new 3V system I would use this stuff throughout.
$100 stick welder, 2.0mm 316 rods, a keg, some triclover flanges = awesome kettle element fitting! (Wiring not done of course).

9.JPG

How awesome is this for cleaning?
4.JPG

You guys would love to see pics of my setup...it's a 50L stockpot. If I get around to it I'll post a pic, it's pretty awesome. :lol:

Put my first brew through yesterday.
Everything went fairly smoothly, made a few mistakes as was to be expected i guess.

Was aiming to brew a robust porter however I think it is going to end up a bit more like a baltic porter now.

Mash in went really well and hit 66 degrees and stayed there for the hour suprisingly with nothing other than a sleeping bag for insulation ha.

51BE2C42-32BB-4B7C-83ED-92D8BB8F5D4B-3440-000004837A585A89.jpg

ABA8EF3B-9A3F-4AA0-BFFD-5FF0959C7BC5-3440-00000483756DFFC4.jpg

Fly sparge went fairly well probably should have returned it a bit more and gone a bit slower but ended up with a pre boil gravity of 1.058 and an efficiency of 70%.

D543941D-59C9-405A-B47E-4E82761EDB5F-3440-000004838145352B.jpg

Was meant to finish the boil around 1.062 however I must have boiled way to vigourously (I thought this was the aim) as there was a fair bit of foam for most of the time and i ended up with an og of 1.072 and around 16 litres of wort so instead of a 6%ish porter i think its now going to be more like 7.5%. Also forgot to add the brew brite... I'm a little concerned about the fact i only had one packet of 1056 to pitch with this boozier beer. All in all the plate chiller worked well and got the wort down to 28ish on a pretty stinking hot brisbane day and i shook the hell out of it and pitched it once it got down to 20degrees.

Tasting nice and sweet could probably have done with more hop to back up the extra booze now but time will tell.

Also milo tin as a sparge return plate failed pretty hard

F2AE31CD-322D-40AD-98DD-2B4A3E78D346-3440-000004838819145E.jpg

D6E0501E-0D92-458A-851F-B1EE7ABD25A6-3440-0000048585F89AF6.jpg

I've finally finished my herms coil roller and the results are impressive

20121214_141532.jpg

20121214_151309.jpg

I've finally finished my herms coil roller and the results are impressive

you wouldn't have some details on the roller I have a 15m coil of ss tube could really do with reducing it's diameter by around half

Back