Should I Water Down Or Run With It? - The 10% Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Should I water down or run with it?

I was trying to make 50 litres of LCPA, distractions then massive over boiling left me with 30 litres.

Plan was to add water back to 50 litres.
It lookes good, smelt and tasted great so there has been no watering down and Im headed for a 10% beer.

Pitched last night and the brew is fermenting away.
Trying to decide as theres still time to add water to it or should I just let it be.
So far I am just leaving it as is...

6kg JW traditional ale malt.

4kg Belgian pale malt.

1.4kg wheat malt.

140g oats.

140g UK carra malt

80g carra aroma

50g UK carra aroma

40g crystal heritage

12g dark roast barley.

40g EKG at 30min.

40g Cascade at 15min.

40g Chinook flowers at 15 min.

40g Cascade at flame out.

40g Chinook flowers at flame out.

Finished with 30 litres at OG1088.

Put on a yeast cake of American ale yeast.

Added 60g of Chinook flowers to fermenter.

Will add 20g cascade after 3 days.

Sydney_20120904_00543.jpg

I'd leave it as is and call it it an Imperial LCPA.

It soudns like it's going to be a fantastic drop.

leave it alone and drink it, when it's at FG, do 1 bottle at temp for 1 week (whilst you give it another week etc..) and try it, if it's too harsh water down, if all good say you planned it :)

I vote for leaving it, although I would decant some wort and do a small stovetop boil to kick some more bittering and flavour into it, to go for an IIPA.

Do you bottle barb or keg? Me & a buddy did a 10% barley wine which we bottled and 10 months later its still not carbed, we think the yeast shat itself in a high alc environment.

I keg, and I no chill so hopefully the bittering will be ok.
Not a bad idea with the stove top boil though.

Loving that most of you say keep it strong.
Thanks to all replies.

I vote for leaving it, although I would decant some wort and do a small stovetop boil to kick some more bittering and flavour into it, to go for an IIPA.

Do you bottle barb or keg? Me & a buddy did a 10% barley wine which we bottled and 10 months later its still not carbed, we think the yeast shat itself in a high alc environment.

Much above 1.080 with US05 and I find I need to have mashes lower than 64C or the beer ends up sticky even with a MrMalty perfecto pitch rate and 80+ IBUs.

IMO the trick to IIPAs isn't hopping, it's attenuation and drinkable dryness. YMMV.

This beer has been sitting at 1018 for a week so I kegged it last night.
OG1088 to FG1018, 70/7.46 = 9.38%
Will wait till it carbs up and give it a test.

Back