Should I Rack Now?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I've had a Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught fermenting at 13-16C since the 4th (16 days). It has pretty much finished fermenting, was down to 1015 from 1050 a couple days ago.

I was planning on leaving it another four days and rack at an even twenty, but we've had a bout of warm weather today and it's raised the temp of the beer to 17-18C. Should I still stick to the same racking schedule, or would it be a good idea to move it off the cake a bit sooner? If it was an ale I wouldn't be worried, but I don't have any experience with lager yeasts.

Also, I reckon I'll try to 'cold-condition' it in the laundry trough filled with water. Is it a good idea to slip a little bleach or ortho-phos or something in the water to stop any greeblies growing on the outside of the secondary?

Kai

I would rack and dry hop now...
Place in laundry tub with just cold water.
I use 1.25ltr PET bottles of ice - swap 2 thawed in the water for 2 frozen to keep the temp down around 9 - 10 degrees for lagers.

Hope this helps you out

Reckon I'll rack it tomorrow then, Ken. Mainly because I can't be bothered tonight :)

Leave it at the slightly higher temp a bit longer--diacetyl rest.

Haven't got a fridge to lager in? You can often find an old fridge standing on the pavement awaiting hard rubbish collection!

Jovial Monk

Wouldn't trust an old fridge, JM. I figure they've been left out for a reason.

Don't have much room, either. I think what I need is to pick up a bar fridge.

I just drew off a wee sample, I'm not picking up any diacetyl but I am picking up some vegemite. I think I will rack tomorrow.

Don't actually plug the fridge in , but by stacking it with frozen water bottles and keeping the door shut you can get a nice even fermenting temp for Ale.

Back