Should I rack lager to secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Bottler

Reaction score
Ok, new to home brewing here, had Morgans Blue Mountain Lager in fermenter for 6 days now, pitched S23 yeast when wort was about 18/20c, dont have temp control fridge set up yet so put fermenter in tub of ice and water to cool and used 15l of chilled water in wort.
Airlock started bubbling away nicely in less than 24hrs, rotten egg smell coming out of airlock 2 days later(which I've read is normal) so moved fermenter out of kitchen(missus thought something had died! :p ) and into garage, which turned out ok cause the weathers been getting cool over the last week, mid to hi teens.
Anyway, about day 4, airlock stopped bubbling. Not sure if I've stalled fermentation cause wort temperature has gone from 18 down to 10, back up to 18 and has settled at about 15 degrees.
I'm going to bottle this brew, how long should I leave it in the fermenter and should I rack it to a secondary if I'm eventually going to bottle it anyway?
I'm thinking about 3 weeks in the primary fermenter before I do anything.

Are you going to lager it? If not then I don't see any real benefit in racking to secondary. I do see benefit in lagering though but that's your call to make.

What's her SG, by the way?

OG was 1040, haven't checked FG yet, was going to give yeast time too get busy again(If they are going to).
Not sure if I've stuffed up by letting the temp vary too much, I was trying to keep the wort below 12 degrees, really hard to do sitting in a tub of cold water and ice.
I was planning on racking it into a plastic water container I got from bunnings and bunging it in the beer fridge for a few weeks.

When I'm racking to 2nd FC how much yeast cake should I take with it?

Idea is to leave as much as you can behind. There will be enough suspended yeasties for bottling.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back