Should I cold crash?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzwa

Reaction score
Just coming to the end of my first brew I took a gravity reading for the first time today it was 1010 I put the brew on the 9/4/13. Just wondering if I should cold crash it for a couple of days before I keg it ? Any advice would be appreciated

Please search for and read up on the benefits of cold crashing. Even google it!
I'm not going to spoon feed this answer. It is a basic thing and you should be able to find it easily. If you have another question after you read those, just ask. Not trying to bite you, just pointing out since you are new that this forum has been in existence for a long time and most subjects have been beaten to death. Hopefully that is more helpful than saying yes/no.

You should make sure that fermentation is complete.

It has been fermenting for a while by the looks of things however if it was fermenting at lower temps, it may be still going.

To be safe, I'd do another gravity reading tomorrow or the next day. If it's still at 1.010, it has finished.

Cold crashing will help drop everything out of suspension and will help clear your beer.

Good helpful reply PF without hanging shit on the guy.
Should be more of it on here.

Ok thanks bats that was the advice I was after did not want to do it to early.

If its a lager then you could d-rest it (even if you haven't detected butterscotch), as the temp rise (to around 15c) can help it down the last few points. Then crash it down.

Back